Chapter 6: Spirit Week

It's Spirit Week at school. A competition between each grade to see who is the best of the best and to show school spirit. Those who participated wore their grade colors. Freshman were Blue, Sophomores were Green, Juniors were Red and Seniors were Purple. All the afternoon classes were canceled for the events this week.

The first game was held in the middle of the quad after fourth period, and it was Tug of War. Kim and I were standing by a wall ledge at the end of the school yard, while Marco sat on the ledge as students poured in. The middle of the school had a huge field called the quad with open space that was used for events like these. Faculty set up the area for the players with ropes and poles.

The field became crowded with everyone looking for their friends and a good spot. Ryan walked by, waving at me and I ignored him, looking the other way like he didn't exist. Sorry buddy, our relationship is through. Your karma is served and it's delicious.

"This is so exciting!" Kimmy jumped up and down to compensate for her height.

I was only a few inches taller than her, so I knew the feeling. "I know I can't wait to see him play!" I replied. Cam was the only one in our group who was participating, and we came out in full support.

He was really competitive and wanted to win all the games that were being held this week. The rest of the group were not like him in that sense. They would rather not play at all and sit by the side lines. I wanted to show up for my new friend and I really felt like I was a part of the group since the Drive-In.

Cam made his way over to us with Sam by his side. They were holding hands and wearing matching red workout clothes with headbands. Aren't they cute?

"Cammie we're rooting for you!" Kim shows him her sign on her notebook that wrote 'Cam is #1' in marker. What a great friend.

"Thanks guys I'm so ready." He jumps up and down to prepare, swinging his arms back and forth.

"God, I hope we don't fall. They're putting mud everywhere." Sam points at the field. It actually looked like a lot of fun. Mud fighting always looks like a good time to me.

"You'll probably fall and mess up your beautiful hair." Marco snarks at her.

She twists her head at him. "Cam is great at everything; he'll make sure I don't fall."

Cam continues to stretch.

"You should stretch Sam. You wanna be limber." He tells her, pulling his foot from the back to further enhance the stretch. Sam waves him off like she's ignoring him.

"You're taking this serious." I say. He was definitely in his competitive mode. Kim had told me how he loved to play sports and competed in anything with a prize. The guy was genuinely good at everything like he was god's favorite.

"I'm representing the Juniors. This is a battle of honor and bragging rights." He pointed his fist up. Way too serious. Alex jogs behind Cam, throwing his arm around him.

"Don't suck Cammie, I got money on this." My nerves flare up a bit. Alex had on a plain white T-shirt and his hat on backwards again. Why God why?! His blue eyes danced around us.

"You betted again?" Marco slurred behind me. He was crossing his arms flamboyantly and rolling his contact eyes.

"Cam's my lucky horse, of course I betted." Cam stands taller, showing off his dimples in pride. The quad was almost packed, and the arena of chatter grew.

A group of guys wearing purple find their way next to us, Danny is their ringleader, standing in front of the pack with a huge cheeky grin. His sleeves were rolled up and the sun gave him a perfect tan. I could see why girls fell in love with him, he looked like a celebrity ready to be on camera at any given moment.