Chapter 12: Audition

After school that very same day, auditions were being held for the upcoming play about love and tragedy. I sat in the far back end by myself as everyone went upstage for warm ups before the auditions began. I was in a terrible mood all day and I avoided Alex at all costs. Not wanting to be anywhere near him, I even spent my whole lunch hour with my tutor Aaron.

I was still pretty pissed off that he fucked some other girl, and I got my payback, but it didn't make me feel any better. Liking a guy like him was the worst decision I ever made. A bad boy will never change, and he somehow sucked me in.

Now I sit here with my arms crossed, my legs up on the chair and my headphones blasting music in my ear. I wanted to show up for support, but I was in the worst mood, and I just wanted to go home. 'When I look at you' by Miley Cyrus was playing as I watched everyone upstage doing breathing exercises and jumping jacks.

There were around 30 kids on stage making loud noises with their mouths and shaking themselves vigorously. My eyes wandered over to Cam who was jumping up and down like a clown.

After about 15 minutes the students are given a break before auditions are underway. Kimmy, Marco and Cam walked over to where I was sitting, and I took off my earphones.

"Ahh! I'm so nervous! What if I trip over my lines?" Kimmy squealed sitting on my right. Cam sat down on my left and Marco stood in front of him.

"I have my lines down." Cam says, pointing his index finger on his forehead. Marco leans back on the seat behind him.

"I've practiced so much I feel like I am the character." I let them converse among themselves and say nothing. The auditorium was pretty small, it had about 20 rows of seats facing a stage and huge red curtains.

Kimmy told me they auditioned for every play the school has ever had and that the activity was really fun. They even wanted me to audition but I refused. It looked like fun, but I was never one to apply myself to anything.

The break is over pretty quickly, and they head back on stage to begin, Cam stays behind. I'm about to put my headphones on again when he speaks.

"Are you alright Millie? You seem mad?"

I take my headphones back out of my ears. "I'm fine, I'm just tired." I lied.

"Do you want to talk about it?" I gave him a look that said no. He nods his head.

"If I fall off stage, will you catch me?" His lips curl into a smile. He's trying to make me laugh.

"Didn't you get the part already?" I ask still with a little attitude.

"Shhh. It's a secret." His finger pressed up against his lips to make the sound.

I don't say anything in response. Stupid Alex has even ruined my moment with Cam.

Cam stands up and puts his hands on his hips and does a superman pose in front of me.

"This is how I got the part Millie. I walked in and showed Ms. Ginger my Prince pose." He grins.

I let out a small giggle. "You're a dork."

"Shh. I'm getting into character." He broods his face.

"You're scaring the princess away." Cam leans down and pushes my forehead with his hand. I kick his feet back.

"Ow Millie you know I bruise like a peach."

"How do you expect to save the princess if you're so weak?"

"I'll make her laugh."

My face blushes. He's gotten me to feel better already. I didn't tell him I was in a bad mood but he picked up on it and made sure I smiled.