Chapter 18: What She Wanted

Narrator's POV

Leaving the awards venue, Lauren and Normani headed back to Lauren's place. They chose to go home instead of celebrating at the after-party. Lauren did not have another party like she told Camila and Alejandro. She just wanted to leave the show and go home. It would be different if Lauren and Camila were on good terms. Lauren would have agreed to join the after-party to celebrate their win even when Camila's public boyfriend would be there, too.

"Do you want me to drive?" Normani asked Lauren who was not in her best mood even when she won the award.

"I'm good, Mani. I got it." Lauren started the car, leaving the venue. Lauren focused on driving, but her mind was not at peace.

"Do you want to get something to eat? I am hungry." Normani asked, distracting Lauren from thinking about Camila.

"Yes. It's a good idea." Lauren agreed. "What do you want to have?"

"Hmm... how about French dips?" Normani and Lauren loved the French dips, especially at midnight when they needed comfort food.

"That's a perfect choice." Lauren smiled.

They drove past a taco place, "do you want some tacos, too?" Lauren slowed down the car.

"Oh, yes..." Normani chuckled, "I'm starving." They barely ate anything since they left for the event. They stopped at the taco place and got some tacos for takeaway. Lauren parked and waited in the car as Normani went to get tacos. They ate the tacos in the car. They ate in silence. They finished the tacos in less than ten minutes.

Lauren started the car after she finished her three tacos, "are you still up for the French dips?"

"Absolutely." Normani laughed. She needed a lot of food, and so did Lauren.

Lauren smiled, driving, heading to their regular restaurant downtown, which they usually went to when they wanted to have French dips.

.

Lauren and Normani arrived at the restaurant past midnight. The restaurant was not too busy. Only a few tables were occupied. They placed their order immediately as they could not wait to have their late dinner or supper. Normani asked Lauren when they were waiting for their food.

"How was it back there?" Normani asked Lauren how it was going between her and Camila backstage. "Did she say something?"

Lauren sighed, "She told me she missed me for the first time."

"For the first time?!" Normani frowned.

"Yeah... she never told me before." Lauren was not sure if Camila did miss her or if Camila just felt bad not responding to her messages.

"Oh, probably she did miss you." Normani did not like seeing Lauren's upset face.

Lauren shrugged, "who knows?"

"She asked me to join the after-party, but I told her I've got another party..." Lauren told Normani about the conversation between her and Camila after receiving the awards.

"Oh..." Normani saw how upset Lauren was because Lauren was not someone who could easily snap or hurt someone with words unless she was super upset or hurt. It was rare, but it happened sometimes when people crossed the line or when she felt disrespected or hurt. In this case, Normani guessed Lauren was feeling hurt.