Chapter 31: The Kiss

Narrator's POV

The party was still going. It was only eight, but Lauren was getting tired. She ended her conversation with Dakota and met Normani and Dinah inside the house. Lauren needed to lie down, and Dinah suggested Lauren take a rest in the bedroom. Sinuhe, who just came in, offered Lauren their one and only guest bedroom. It was once Camila's room where the incident happened. They had changed the room into a guest bedroom and changed Camila's room to another room.

Lauren immediately lay down once she got into the room. She felt relieved as she lay down. Normani told Lauren if Lauren wanted to stay over, she had to change the bandages. If she wanted to just lie down for a while, they could do it later when they got to the hospital. Lauren answered later as she closed her eyes. Normani smiled weakly, looking at her best friend. She left the room and went outside to rejoin Dinah.

Knowing from Dinah that Lauren was in the guest room, taking a rest, Camila encouraged herself to go inside and see Lauren. She bit her lip as she knocked on the doors. Camila did not hear any answer. She slowly opened the door and found Lauren lying on the bed with her eyes close. Camila quietly walked into the room. She stood at the end of the bed, looking at Lauren. Her heart ached when Camila looked at Lauren's wounds. She held her tears, thinking it might not happen if she did not break Lauren's heart.

Being lost in the jungle for weeks made Lauren more sensitive and aware of her surrounding. Lauren opened her eyes when she felt like someone was in the room. She was right as she opened her eyes and saw Camila standing by the edge of the bed. Lauren studied Camila as they looked at each other. She felt her heart crying when she took in what Camila looked like now. She looked at Camila, biting her lip and fidgeting her hands.

Lauren slowly sat up and patted the bed, asking Camila to join her. Camila's eyebrows slightly moved when she saw Lauren's invitation. She slowly walked over and sat on the bed, but not where Lauren patted. It was a bit far to the edge of the bed. Lauren did not only see hesitancy but also fear in Camila's eyes. She did not like it, but she knew where it came from. Camila was lost in her fear. She feared rejection and felt guilty.

Lauren tapped on the bed again, asking her to come closer. Camila hesitated but moved closer as Lauren told her. Camila got even more anxious as she could not stop fidgeting her hands and started to bite her nails. Lauren sighed internally. "Don't bite them!" She gently asked Camila to stop. When they were together, if Camila bit her nails whenever she got nervous or anxious, Lauren would stop by moving her hand away or kissing her.

Camila stopped and listened to Lauren. She put her hands on her lap, still fidgeting a little. Camila would look at Lauren but slightly. She avoided looking into Lauren's eyes as she felt ashamed. Lauren looked at Camila's baby bump. Lauren did not want to start with a serious conversation, so she started a small talk, "I did not bring you any gift." She told Camila.

Camila looked at Lauren slightly before she looked back at her hands on her lap. "You..." Camila cleared her weak voice. She sounded like she didn't speak for long. "You got me flowers." If they were together, Camila would have said she needed no gift but a kiss. "Thank you!' She said in a low voice.

Lauren was looking at Camila. Camila was not looking at her. She would just briefly look at Lauren as they sat there in silence. Lauren was too tired to discuss everything tonight, while Camila had lost her words and confidence to talk to Lauren. They sat in silence. They said nothing, but their hearts were silently beating, and missing each other. Their hearts did not hate each other. Otherwise, they could not sit so close and peacefully in the same room without any words or others.