Chapter 28: Silence

Narrator's POV

Camila and Sinuhe started to contact the people they knew to see if they could help them on Monday. How Camila spent her time focussing on finding Lauren made Sinuhe smile. She felt relieved with the change it brought. Camila did not stay in her bed or room all day long, doing nothing, losing herself in her unknown thought as before. Camila spoke more than before. She was not fully back to herself they used to know yet, but she got that motivation to live, coming from her determination to find Lauren.

Camila finally saw the light at the end of the tunnel after gathering information and contacting people for more than ten days. She finally found the help and support she needed. They could start immediately within three days. Camila called Dinah to inform her that they could immediately start the search again. She could not wait to share the good news with Normani and Ally. She knew how stressful Normani and Ally were when Lauren was still missing.

Dinah, who was delighted to hear the news, called Normani immediately. They had to prepare everything needed. Camila wanted to meet Normani and Ally to discuss the plan further the next morning. She invited Dinah, Ally, and Normani to her place on Wednesday afternoon. Dinah and Ally arrived at Camila's place without Normani. The support they got should be a piece of good news for everyone, but it turned out it was not for Camila.

"Where's Normani?" Camila asked Ally as she welcomed them into her house.

"She got something to deal with so she can't come," Ally informed.

"Oh.." Camila looked at Dinah, who subtly looked awkward with the conversation. Dinah probably knew that Normani was not coming. "Okay. Let's go there." Camila led the way to where the swimming pool was. They stetted by the poolside under the beach umbrella. Marco had prepared some lunch for them.

"Thank you, Marco!" Camila spoke to Marco before he left.

"So, Ally. We have to meet Mr. Mahoney to discuss what is needed for the search service team to start the work."

"Yes," Ally said. She looked as awkward as Dinah.

Camila frowned, looking at Ally and Dinah's strange behavior. She was asking herself: shouldn't they, at least, look happy with the support she got?

"Camila, we really really appreciate everything you have done to get the support we needed." Ally continued, "it meant a lot to us..." Camila did not like how Ally said it. It sounded like they had forgotten that Lauren was also important to Camila, but she could not blame them. She had made a mistake showing how she did not truly love Lauren. "But we don't need to search for Lauren anymore."

"What do you mean?" Camila responded fast. "We've found her."

Ally looked at Dinah. Camila looked at both of them. Dinah might have known it but did not tell her.

"Yes, She survived," Ally said, but she looked a bit stressed. She should be happy.

"..." Camila did not react immediately. She was surprised, but a bit scared about whether Lauren was found alive or dead. "Is she...okay?"

"Yes," Ally answered quickly. She did not mean to scare Camila with her nervous look.

"Good..." Camila let go of her breath, feeling relieved. "How?" She wondered how it happened since they had stopped searching a week ago. Her project team even had returned from the site. "Where is she?"