Chapter 19: Two Hearts Beat

Narrator's POV

Lauren went to the supermarket to get some stuff. She only spent thirty minutes there. Leaving the supermarket, Lauren went to the closest beach. She found a shadow place to sit and look at the ocean. Looking at the ocean calmed her mind. Lauren always went to the beach, especially when she needed to clear her mind, calm herself, or think things through.

After spending almost three hours by the beach, Lauren wanted to have lunch at the nearby restaurant before heading home as she was getting hungry. Lauren reconsidered, thinking Camila was waiting for her at home. Camila might be hungry, too. Lauren decided to have her lunch at home with or without Camila, in case Camila had left. She stopped at a restaurant to get herself and Camila lunch on the way home.

Lauren arrived home at a quarter past twelve. Holding the things she bought, Lauren stopped at the door. She hoped Camila was still waiting for her. Lauren took a deep breath before opening the door. Once Lauren stepped into the house, she saw Camila getting up from the sofa and looking her way. Lauren and Camila looked at each other for a few seconds before Camila smiled first. It was not a big smile, but it was enough to tell Lauren that she was happy to see Lauren finally home. Lauren got into the house, and Camila got up from the sofa.

Lauren did not say anything. She put the things she bought on the kitchen island.

"You're back," Camila said gently, standing a few feet away from Lauren.

Lauren turned around and looked at Camila, "Yeah... I got something for lunch."

"Thank you!" Camila said. They both sounded calm, especially Lauren.

"I'll put this in my room, then we can have lunch," Lauren said.

"Okay." Camila's heart melted, knowing Lauren was still thinking of her, getting her lunch. Her heart beat helplessly feeling the love from Lauren.

Lauren went upstairs to her room. She used the toilet and changed into a more homey white sweater and sweatpants. She went back downstairs and found Camila having a snack out of her snack jar that she always had ready on the kitchen island. Lauren smiled internally, knowing the brown eyes woman must be hungry. She was glad she decided to have lunch at home. How upset Lauren was, she still cared about Camila.

Camila smiled when she saw Lauren looking at her stealing her snack. Lauren continued to set the table and prepare the lunch. Camila wanted to help, but she knew Lauren would not let her as Lauren could do it faster than her. Camila asked anyway, "Can I help with something?"

Lauren took the plates out of the kitchen cabinet and slightly looked at Camila, "thanks, but you can take the snack and your drink to the living room."

"Okay," Camila said and did what Lauren told her. She behaved nicely, like a good kid.

Sitting side by side, Lauren and Camila watched tv while enjoying their lunch. Lauren chose to have their lunch in the living room, so it would not be awkward. She did not want to talk until they finished their lunch. It was better to have a serious conversation when they were not hungry. Lauren and Camila barely said any words. Since they were watching comedy, Camila would laugh while Lauren would just smile subtly.

Lauren did not look at Camila when Camila tried to look at her, but Lauren paid attention and was always aware of whether Camila needed something or enjoyed her food or not. When their eyes met, Camila would smile the sweetest. Camila was like a kid behaving sweetest and best since she knew she had done something wrong. This surely made Lauren slowly give in secretly. Her heart beat softer for Camila.