Chapter VIII: Infection

Steve didn't know how to feel right now.

He felt kind of jealous, which he probably shouldn't feel jealousy, but he did.

He'd seen the interactions between Claire and Rodrigo, clearly she was into him.

Which she had expressed that she wasn't really into Steve, maybe not directly saying it, but she made it obvious.

"Steve, you there?"

Claire's concerned voice broke him from his thoughts. He nodded.

"Oh yeah, sorry. What is it? You seem like you're alarmed or something?"

Claire looked away and sighed.

"I'm beginning to worry that Alexia isn't actually going to come with us. That she's going to stay and sacrifice herself."

Steve nodded. He shared the thought, he still wasn't sure if he himself trusted Alexia, but she hadn't tried to harm them and had only been kind to them in their short interactions, so she was alright in his book.

"No, I don't think she'll do that."

Steve looked to Rodrigo with a raised brow and and a frown.

"How do you know that?"

"Because her brother Alfred is dead, she has nothing to keep her here."

Ok that was true, but they still couldn't be sure.

Claire seemed to perk up at that.

"It is sad that he's gone, but, maybe we can save her at least."

Steve understood that. If they didn't, Umbrella would probably come and take her. He had overheard enough conversations between his dad and other Umbrella scientists to know that.

His father was often too focused on work to spend time with Steve or talk to him, but he did try, that was the important thing.

Now he was gone, his dad was gone, and it was all Umbrella's fault.

Walking a little further down the current hall, Steve motioned them to stop, and Rodrigo and Claire promptly did.

Footsteps...

They weren't alone down here.

Rodrigo hissed in a bit of pain.

"Nope, no, can't..."

Claire looked at him in concern.

"We don't have much further Rodrigo. We just have to turn left at the far end of the hall up ahead and we'll be at the hangar doors."

Rodrigo shook his head.

"No, I've held it in this long but...I just can't keep moving, I can feel myself becoming sore."

Steve may have been jealous that the man had Claire's affection, but he did care.

There was a banging noise down the hall from the room just a little ways from the left turn, shit.

"Not leaving you, amigo."

Steve gave a reassuring grin.

Rodrigo however pulled away from Claire to fall up against the left wall. He slid down and then sat there.

"No, you two just go. If this is another tyrant or some shit like that, I'll just be a hindrance while trying to kill it. Plus if Isaacs is following us, I'm just slowing your escape down."

Steve didn't know how to react, but this man had tried escaping with his dad.

"Rodrigo..."

"No Burnside. Look, just go."