Last Piece

Ha Youngsoo is found in Australia and repatriated to Korea for his sentence. It's all over the news with the talk of the hidden network in the whole country. Other scientists kidnapping children for the project have been found and everything they've been building is starting to crumble down.

Chan isn't surprised to see Changbin pass on TV in his officer's uniform.

"- and then I thought, we aren't the only ones who're wondering where their soulmate is, what if other kids were kidnapped too ?" he speaks with a frown, "but compared to them, I've been lucky to have more than one soulmate," Changbin trails with a small nod, "without them I can't say I would've been happy and fulfilled, but finding my last soulmate was-" he can't help the smile taking his lips, "- he was the last piece to form the puzzle."

Chan smiles at his words, his expression is so raw that he can't doubt him. Changbin had been such an easy one to get close too, despite the big muscles that intimidated him in the beginning. He's a goofball that can show his mature side in a split second and help him understand something by guiding him with questions.

"Honey ?"

Chan looks up to his mother who's in the kitchen, "Yeah mom ?"

It's weird. So weird to have a family. To have someone he can call mother. To have a father and siblings. It's foreign on his tongue and yet his heart shakes on a beat everytime.

It's been hard in the beginning to notice how much he's been really alone and how much he was missing on. Something he also tried to ignore, but he has a family now.

"Can you help me with the cake, please ?"

He stands up with a grin, pats the fish bowl where Bob is mindlessly swimming, and follows her instructions. He loves it. It's happiness in those quiet and calm moments, so cozy and filled with life.

"You should bring all of your soulmates tonight, I need to meet Changbinie officially," She says, almost scolding Chan for it, "he seems really sweet."

Chan fights the smile threatening to take his face, and fails, "Will that be okay ? They're a lot."

She scoffs, "They'll never be a lot for me," she smiles softly, so tender, Chan's glad to know what it feels like to have such motherly affection pointed to him, "and that's all I can do to thank them."

Chan softens. He can't even know what his family must have been feeling when he was gone, they must've been so scared and hurt, wondering when he'll be back with them or if they'll find out in the news about his lifeless body.

So he hugs her tight, feels her take a shaky breath and hugs back. He's a bit taller than her so he's completely engulfing her in his arms. He's feeling emotional too now, especially when she pulls away to blink her glassy eyes quickly and he beams, "Thank you mom, for waiting so long."

She smiles, "I would've waited all of my life for you," and hugs him back.

"What's going on here ?" His father asks as he comes back from outside and finds them hugging. Chan grins.

"Mom's emotional."

It's enough for his dad to understand before he's joining the hug and patting Chan's back, "Glad to have you back, son."

It's something else to hear his father call him son. It's something he's been seeing in movies for so long that he's been craving this simple word.

And to finally hear it, he can't help but tear up.

He's so happy.

"I'm going to work !" He yells and hears his mother's soft hum and sees his father giving him a thumbs up.