Oh Shot

Ace

Again they gravitate towards her, hanging off every word she says. She asks for gauze and there are six hands giving it to her. I fear the day she asks for more maybe world domination because at this point they would trip over themselves.

Dominic is in the clear at this point. He was also stabbed which caused more damage than the grazed bullet wound on his shoulder. I wanted to call Scar up and chew her out for being so damn dramatic, but when I told Dom how cut up she was, well I knew better. I forget sometimes, what they had and how far they would go for each other. If one ever had the courage to put away pride the other would run to them, but it's not like that when you are a made man or woman. Your pride is what keeps you grounded and can put you in the ground the quickest. 

I watch as Dom uses his good arm to bring out a box of cigarettes offering one to me. I almost look to Theo before taking it, but manage to control the urge.

We take a hit before speaking, "This ain't going to be easy," I break the silence with the obvious. 

The stabbing also meant more to us. It meant insider access. It meant betrayal. My mood plummets further after hearing his report. How the Irish knew about his meeting with the Russians. How this would only lead to them not trusting us anymore, not trusting our streets. This wouldn't lead to the territory agreement we have worked years on. With the new Russian's Head finally choked, it made sense Boss swooped in with the talk of redistributing territories instead of fighting over it. Save lives. That's the important part. But of course, what's more, important is that we try to take advantage of the fragile time for the Russians. 

Dominic was assigned to handle the initial outreach.  He had kept this meeting on the down low- so much so that I barely knew it was happening today.

"Insider knowledge that goes beyond the foot soldiers," he mumbled once anyone was out of earshot.

A few men pass us by dressed in black crime scene suits with fabric covering their shoes and faces. They're the clean-up crew. We watch silently as they take the last of the broken bloody glass out of the small Italian restaurant. The cops never came, thanks to a certain dirty cop on the take, and we made quick work of replacing the glass.

The only real damage is the old wooden furniture of the restaurant. One of which, of course, is the most expensive- the classic bar with its glass shelves and gold/red accents. I'm surprised none of the candles that fell started a fire either.

I wait for a beat before continuing.

"The attacker?" I ask meaning he one that stabbed him.

"Barely alive," he slurs, "down in the basement with a bullet in him."

We pause and now both watch Theo work. Her long brown hair is pulled back as the rest of her is wrapped in blue scrubs, gloves, and a mask- which comes off and on depending on what she's doing.

"I doubt you want your little nurse to patch him up," he muses.

No, I don't. I don't want her anywhere near this fucking place. It's too close and too risky. She could see more than she should and then we wouldn't be able to let her go. I liked that idea too much.

I don't respond to the comment and simply take a drag of the cigarette instead.

"Ivan okay?" I hear myself ask but my eyes don't leave her-not once.

"Physically he's perfectly fine. But his trust might be weaning," Dominic's thick accent sticks out when he's in pain and half the bottle of Patron Silver he downed to help with the pain doesn't make him easy to understand.