A Hostage that Helps

Chapter 7

Ace

She moves her arms under the running water long after the soap was gone. Her gaze gently tilted down to the side and I have a clear view of her profile.

She's gorgeous and unlike every gorgeous woman in this damn city, doesn't have a clue or is simple pretending to be stupid. But playing dumb doesn't seem to fit the woman who I just saw save a life. My eyes follow her defined jaw line to the high cheek bones and land on her gentle brown eyes outlined with dark, long lashes. Her body is hidden in scrubs but the way she moves in them shows off her curves more than she realizes.

It's like she is a super hero and the nurse mask is her façade to hide behind. She is bold and commanding in the operation room, but now looking at her I see more yet can't quite place it.

I watch her pale skin move in the steams of water from the faucet and wonder when she will snap out of her daze, but that would mean time moving forward again and telling her exactly what the plan is for her from here. I don't think she will like what I'm going to say very much.

In my own head it takes me a minute to realize that the water is turned off and I look up to find her drying her hands off still at the sink but her back towards me.

"Theo," I call and can't ignore how familiar it tastes on my tongue.

"Ace," she answers, but my name on her lips don't ring any bells or sound like a distant memory.

"I don't mean to be ungrateful," I begin but she turns around leaning against the sink with her arms crossed.

"Why do I find that hard to believe?" she asks, "maybe because after saving a friends life normal people would show gratitude by starting the conversation with a 'thank you.'"

If I was acting like myself, the best second in the business or the me that is smart and careful, then I would have analyzed her response and realize is was a self-defense mechanism because she is scared and tired. Therefore I should play on this weakness, and maybe yell to scare her a little more. But around her its like my brain just sits back and watches what my dumbass mouth says.

A grin comes slipping out, "thank you."

She nods in approval before walking to the trashcan on the wall to toss the paper towels away and I watch still leaning against the door way to the disinfectant area adjoined to the medical room.

Letting out a sigh she turns back to me and walks forward, "I'm not going to like what you have to say am I?" she asks and I actually can hear her fear making it impossible for me to yell now.

Her vulnerability leaves a guilty weight in my stomach because truly this isn't her fault. She's not who we are after, she isn't Nikki. Which should piss me off more because we fucked up but I can't seem to get pissed off that we got her instead. Hell Nikki couldn't pull off what Theo did with Vinny.

I shake my head and answer her question, "No. No you won't."

She bites her lower lip, hard, "I just want to go home." Again my stomach turns. I never knew guilt could feel so heavy. After the lives I taken and the bones I've broken, one would think I'm immune. But one sad doe eyed woman has my stomach twisted.

"You can't mia damigella in pericolo," I could lie and say that the softness in my voice surprised me but even since the pet name left my mouth I knew I had a soft spot for her. She is living a nightmare and I am not her knight in shining armor to save her but the dragon that keeps her locked away.

Slender fingers wipe away a few tears that had fallen silently, "what do you want?" her voice sounds tired, almost defeated.

There's that timid side of her, the woman outside of the operating room truly is who calls to a part of me. The beastly side. This beast rises in curiosity at her quiet voice and careful words. He loved the ferociousness in a crisis, but this docile and somewhat submissive person underneath is what stirs him. He doesn't have to force his dominance or prove himself because around her he's naturally powerful, almost primal in the way he could command her.

That's the part of me that she needs to be across the room from.

Hearing that thought left me no choice but to tell her the whole truth. Even if she fears us or hates us afterwards.

"You know a girl named Nichole she does by Nikki?"

"Why?" she is careful now.

"Because Nikki isn't who you think she is, dolcezza. She is a manipulative little thief and got herself into more trouble than you can even fathom. So I ask once more, do you know her?" my voice is hard and scratches at my throat.

Her eyes widen in surprise before she nods her head.

"Yes. I know her. I mean I work with her... she covered some shifts for me and leant me her jacket, but what does-?"

"Wait. She let you barrow her coat? The one you were wearing last night?" I snap, alarms going off.

"Yeah she told me she didn't need it and insisted I take it when I went home," after the words leave her lips those captivating eyes light up in understanding.

"She set you up," I say what we both are thinking.

Doubt bleeds into her delicate expression like ink to water, "no. She is my coworkers. We save people Ace, not put them in danger."

I ignore the surge of something foreign from her using my name and press forwards, "She knew we were onto her. It was only a matter of when and where. So Nikki, being the cruel woman she is, saw an opportunity in you and took it."

Her expression crumples with furrowed eyebrows and a deep set frown as her hands run through her hair. I anticipate the next outburst easily.

She snaps her lava melting gaze to me, "then go find her. I have nothing to do with this! I don't need to be held hostage for her problems." Her back straightens and legs bend slightly almost ready for a fight. It amuses me, but not enough to get side tracked.

"She isn't the focus anymore," I say as confusion replaces her anger, "we are dying here with no true medical professionals. It is dangerous and today was the biggest wake up call. We need you and your skill."

"No."

Her reply is quick and happens before I even have the chance to ask.

"It won't be forever," I continue hoping that in some way this would be voluntary, "Just until the boss gets back."

She falters and I see her gears turning, but am honestly surprised she is even considering it. Though there really wasn't much of a choice.

"You're not the boss?" she asks and the surprise shows on her face vividly. It would make sense the guy bossing around orders would be in charge.

"No. I am the second here. But our boss travels to our other... houses a lot so the boys think of me as their Capo," I answer as vaguely as possible.

She nods her head not asking for any details before letting out another defeated sigh, "How long?"

"A month or so," I answer truly not knowing a definite date.

"What about my job? My home? My friends?"

"You had a family emergency. You got Mono. Say whatever, but you can't leave the compound."

"The compound?" She repeats and swallows hard, digesting what exactly she is getting herself into.

Looking up at me she says, "When your boss gets back, you are going to regret having me here," and if she was anyone else I would have taken in as a threat, but with her large doe eyes staring up at me it left the hairs on my arms stand up and the air got stiffer- she is warning me as if she knows something I don't.

And I don't like that.