He's a Guard Dog

Chapter 11

The cold metal and blinding clean of the room sooth me as we push past the doors. We walk through the room from last night and into another smaller area.

On the middle of the three beds lies Vinny looking pale but alive. Next to him, Frankie sits and James stands. I recognize them instantly as the men that stayed to help.

The men hear our entry and catch Ace walking toward them. The two stand but they are watching me. They look better today having showered and changed but I don't think they slept much. My eyes wander to the other 2 messy beds next to Vinny's. I wonder if they have left this room.

"Ace," Frankie greets his gravely voice rough without rest. He surprises me next, "Doc."

His greeting makes me freeze as we are only a few steps away now, "I'm not a doctor." I wanted it to sound stern but there is a delicate tone to my voice as I correct him.

Frankie's thick graying eyebrows raise but all he says is "yeah you said that but could've fooled me."

It's a compliment. My confused eyes look at Ace to find him already watching me with an unreadable expression.

"Oh," I feel my face flush and I know they can see a light shade of pink coloring my cheeks, "well thank you."

Frankie smirks and I watch as his few wrinkles bunch at the action. But James stays silent. The younger man watches me but it's odd. Like he can't quite get me. Nothing like Ace's knowing stare.

I clear my throat, "How is he?" I'm proud my voice doesn't shake.

James answers this time, "he's been asleep mostly."

I look over at Vinny and approach the bed to read his vitals off the machine. James moves to let me but doesn't leave the narrow space. Still untrusting I'm sure.

"What does it say?" James asks looking over my shoulder.

I point to the different lines, "heart rate, oxygen level, the important stuff."

"And this?" He asks stepping closer to point at the IV morphine drip.

I open my mouth to answer but there is a sudden gust of cold air. I turn around to see James being pulled away by the collar of his shirt. My eyes follow the rough knuckles up to a stormy pair of dark blue eyes.

"Give her space," Ace mutters through a clenched jaw.

I glance back at James who looks like a kid that got caught with his hand in the cookie jar.

"I was just-"

"It's okay," I interrupt feeling the need to defend him, "I don't mind showing him whatever he wants."

The room stills and the air cools. Frankie is the only one smiling as he takes a seat in the corner chair. Ace looks blank, with no expression at all, it felt eerie or even forboding - and the other paled at my comment.

"She didn't mean that boss," James says straining his neck to look at Ace who still had his fingers clutching Jame's collar.

"What?" I ask when Frankie gives a shake of his head.