Save Him

Chapter 6

Blood is everywhere and now I know why Ace was covered in it. At the sight of the dark red all thoughts of anyone but the patient leave my mind.

Walking into the room I see a single steel raised bed with metal tables and trays around the room. It is a makeshift ER room, a shitty one but it will have to do. I quickly scan where the different medical supplies are stored and what we might be missing. During my examination I see the backs of several large men dressed in black and hear their shouts of panic.

"Put pressure on it!" One distinct voice says and his graveled voice makes him sound older than the group.

"I am." This voice is the opposite. Distinctly male but has a softness too it as if he is younger.

I note of the bandages around several of their arms or legs. realizing that it isn't just one person's blood but a group of them. They must have been attacked.

After taking in the situation I don't wait for Ace to get their attention and I walk towards the crowd at the table. My heart pounds with every step and I feel like everyone is moving a mile a minute except me. I feel like I'm walking through tar that sticks to my legs and pulls at my shoes.

But then it all rushes forward as if I am going at super speed this time and I am at the backs of the men that are taller than me by several feet. It takes me a moment to realize I'm nervous because the truth is I've never treated without a doctor or second opinions. This isn't my hospital where I can call for help or use our equipment to double check diagnosis and that thought cases me to freeze.

From where I'm stuck frozen, I can see the pale young man at the table. The sight makes my heart begin to beat calmly and the scent of blood washes over my senses. I know this part. I've done this part a hundred times. No matter when or where my body will always know what to do.

"Out of my way," I say my voice isn't loud or abrasive. It is commanding and urgent because there is no one that can help like I can.

A older man with a deep frown and furrowed eyebrows outlining his aged skin turns to look at me while the others barely spare me a glace.

His dark features remind me of all the men I know in his line of work. The men I grew up knowing and fearing, "who the fuck-" His gravelly voice barely gets more than two words in before I interrupt.

"I said out of my way."

This time my voice is louder and I get the attention I needed the first time. The group of men now turn to examine me from my scrubs to the bottle of liquor in hand and finally the badge I still have pinned to my chest.

"She's a nurse Frankie, let her through," Ace says and I can feel the room shift from just his command alone.

In a different setting it would make my hair stand on end at how much power he holds over these men when he is serious, but that kind of fear is for a different time.

Frankie and I glare at each other for a hard long moment before he steps aside begrudgingly.

I rush past him to put the bottle of scotch down on the steel tray next to the bed and find a box of gloves. I slip on the blue latex and assess the pale man before me. Moving a mans hands away from the wound I examine it in detail.

A gun shot wound to his abdomen and I quickly move my fingers towards his back and hear a groan as I find the bullets exit point. Thank God.

"What are you doing?" I look up to see the face of a young man and recognize the voice from earlier.

"Checking for the bullet's exit point," I mumble looking at the tray I set the bottle of liquor on, to find a stack of gaze and quickly grab a handful to press onto his wound.