Treating the Boys

Chapter 10

I'm barely dressed when I hear another voice from outside the bathroom door. I don't have time to tie the long chocolate waves back before I push the door open and step into the bedroom, my bedroom.

He stands there in all his refined glory. A blue suit jacket with matching slacks and a white button-up, but his hair is more disheveled making me wonder if he slept at all.

Relief rushes through me and I feel the tension in my back relax, "Ace," I didn't mean for it to sound so breathy but him being here is like a safety blanket.

His eyes snap towards me and I watch as the dark orbs soften. It is must be my eyes playing tricks on me because he seems relieved to see me too which only adds to the list of conflicting emotions I have for this man. But watching his eyes scan over me as if to check for any harm makes my chest bloom with an aching that I had not anticipated.

Get it together, Theo! You met him yesterday when he kidnapped you.

"There! You see her and she is fine. Now calm down," Scar says and I tear my eyes away from his hypnotic gaze to her annoyed and flush face.

She meets my eyes, "He said you were late and went around accusing me of complete Bullshit. I do my job and so when you said to keep her ass safe here, I did."

My lips part to speak but his heated gaze distracts me.

"I don't doubt my men. I doubt you," He says and the cold air that washes over me lets me know he looked away.

Scar doesn't seem fazed by this comment and rolls her eyes, "Geez, thanks boss."

Ace ignores her and instead does another once over of me but this time it's slow almost sensual and I feel heat spread wherever his eyes go. Why? I couldn't tell you. This ridiculous reaction needs to end, but I can't find it in me to look away from his heavy eyes as the take me in every time we are in a room together.

His gaze finally reaches mine and I watch as his lips twitch but I'm clueless as to what was funny. What did he see in my state?

"Come on," he commands and since Scar didn't move I assume he's talking to me and quickly move to follow him out of the room and into the hallway.

"Where are we going?" I ask as we approach a set of wooden stairs that glisten from recent cleaning.

"To check up on Vinny."

Right, Vinny as in the man we saved last night. His vitals were up when I left him and they could come to get me if that changed through this morning.

It does worry me that if he did need help then I would have gone without any sleep. There has to be some other kind of medical staff. This brings me into how I got caught up in this in the first place.

"I have a question," I say as Ace leads me down a set of stairs and another hallway.

"About?" he asks over his shoulder allowing me the slightest view of his profile and it's then I can see the bump down his nose from bringing broken one too many times.

"Um, Scar."

His cold eyes watch me and I am again conflicted with what kind of man is in front of me.

Nodding his head slowly he allows me to continue, "I was wondering who... or why..." I stumble unable to phrase it.

He signs, "She is a very important asset to our... company but only because of her family. Besides that, she is a spoiled brat," His voice is sharp at the end and I think that might be the most emotion I have seen out of him today.

"She's smart," I say and I hear a forced sign from Ace.

"Fortunately for her."

I smile, it's a goofy one and when Ace looks over to see why I am quiet he catches it. His eyes falling into my smile before tracing his way back to my eyes.

"You like her?" He asks and I'm surprised he's continuing the conversation.

I hesitate, "there are parts of her that I envy. I think."

His stride slows and suddenly we are stopped in a hallway with white walls and tiled floor. I recognize it. The double doors in front of us should lead to where we were last night, but he doesn't move. A pulsing beat goes by and I can feel the charge as I ready myself to look at him.

His stare is something I can never get used to, it's intensity reaches under my skin to electrify me every time. The way he studies my face feels like he knows what I mean. I want to hate it. I want to hate him.

"You crave freedom, dolcezza," is wasn't a question. He knew it to be true as much as I did. I don't bother answering but hold his stare, drunk on his undivided attention.

"I wonder," he muses softly taking a step towards me and as we stand alone in the quiet hallway I hear the squeak of his shoes and the soft shuffle of fabric.

"What has held you captive until now?" Another pause and in a clip tone he hisses, "or who?"

I suck a breath not liking the direction of the conversation and desperate for this world-this moment- not to collide with my inevitable future.

"Careful Ace, that sounds like jealousy," I say with a small grin.

"Curiosity," he corrects without missing a beat.

"Don't be," I retort without a grin this time.

"Why?" He asks and it's almost hasty.

I go for casual. Despite the thrill of knowing he is impatient for my answer.

"I don't like clingy men."

A pause. 

My heart races. A sinking feeling grips me and I am familiar with its submerging darkness. Fear. I am scared of his answer. I think I am scared of him.

His soft lips pull into a grin. Not a smirk. But a grin and it holds me tighter than any fear ever could.

"Don't worry Angel, I'm not the type."

My hand flies out and catches onto his arm. He's close, I can see the surprise in his dark blue waves. But he let's me hold onto him. I step closer unable to stop myself.

"What did you just say?"

What if I say please?

It's something out of a movie. Like Julia Roberts.

What's your name, Angel?

Liam.

"I'm not the clingy type," his eyes break away from my stare and casually glance at my stained grip now wrinkling his suit jacket. "But maybe you are?"

Liam? You mean that John Doe? He died. Allergic to the morphine or something. Mistakes happen not your fault.

"No," I crash back to earth with a bitter taste in my mouth and a sting in my eyes, "not usually."

Ace smirks, "maybe I'm your exception?"

I look away with a large intake of breath and a heavy sigh, "don't get your hopes up."

My numb fingers release him and Ace doesn't answer other than glancing at the spot of his wrinkled suit.

We walk through the double doors silently.