SCAR

Chapter 8

"Really, I'm okay Lucas. No you don't need to come with me," I pause, "I can't help it, it's a family emergency. Yes, I know-"

I falter at the words through the phone, glancing up at Ace before looking back down at the ground, using my fingers to gentle rub at my forehead. Maybe to help ease the tension.

"I love you too," I tell him softly meaning it but not in the way he wants.

I close my eyes as foot steps draw closer to the window I am leaning against. I had wanted space in the small office to make the calls to friends and work about missing the next month, but he hasn't given me any.

His hand lays palm up in front of me, expectantly, and I dare to look at him. His handsome features are twisted in what seems like anger and I hold a breath at the danger in his dark blue eyes. There it is, the picture of a storm washing through his stare again.

"I have to go Lucas. Tell your mother I said hello," It's rushed and Lucas can probably tell but doesn't push any further mumbling a goodbye.

Looking up into Ace's hard expression, makes me wonder what kind of man stands in front of me. I place the phone in his hands with a defeated sigh.

"Now what?" I keep eye contact as he tucks the phone into this suit jacket pocket before he looks at his watch breaking the stare. Forcing my eyes to take in the room around me. The office, his boss's office, smells of pine and paper which should be a foreign smell, but it actually reminds me of the home I left behind.

"Now, we get you to your room."

My room? Right. I have a room here because they are keeping me, kidnapping me really.

"Right," I mutter and run a tired hand through my hair now that is it down I can feel the knots running underneath it and can only hope they offer basic essentials like a hairbrush.

Suddenly the door to the office opens and my body tenses ready for another emergency to need my presence. It's as if my body suspect this job will be like slave labor, hard and difficult with little room for rest.

Ace looks away from me, where I didn't know his attention was, towards the door and his expression hardens even more, as if he was showing me his soft side. I scoff at that thought.

"About damn time," He curses and I finally look up at the door.

A woman about my height and a little thinner in built stands leaning into one hip and an arm crossed over her stomach to support the other long thin arm that holds a cigarette at the end.

"Don't expect much at 7AM," her gruff voice replies through thin pretty pink lips set on her narrow features complimenting her small nose and wide eyes. She looks like a fairy, but dressed in tight black jeans and a see through lace shirt showcasing her while bralette.

She looks older than me, but not by much.

"I never expect much when it comes to you," he says casually and the woman beings the lit cigarette to her lips, "and for fucks sake stop smoking in the building."

She then takes a long drag of the cigarette and blows it out slowly into the enclosed room with a grin on her face. I can't tell if she is brave or suicidal, even though I can't see Ace really hurting me, but the look on his face makes it clear he would and has hurt others.

"Right. Sorry boss," she answers before pressing the cig into the crystal ash tray which I am sure was just for decoration and very expensive.

Then as if noticing me for the first time juts her chin my way, "whose the hotty?" and I feel like a dear caught in head lights. The brave girl in the ER long gone and just plain, soft spoken, delicate Theo is felt behind. But what surprises me most is what she calls me.