The Best

Chapter 4

The wooden frame doesn't move as I push up on the bottom. Taking a breath, I tap the thick glass of the window and know there is no way I could break it with anything in this office. It's bullet proof. A small part of my is impressed at how thorough every part of this fortress seems to be.

The meds he gave me officially wore off about 10 minutes ago and since then I have been scanning the room for any possible escapes. But I have yet to find one and it seems I never will.

Taking my losses with the window I move around to the desk studying the papers neatly piled on top of it. I knew better than to believe that a man like Ace would leave something incriminating out in the open with me stuck in here.

I felt annoyance at the reminder that he had so casually confessed to accidently abducting me, but like hell I am believe that story. If my father had taught me anything it is that there is never a single movement without purpose, and the thought of my father brought back the horrible possibility that they could know who I am.

I quickly dismiss the idea because if it were true than - well they wouldn't have left me alone in here that's for sure.

If the head of this operation had the decency to show up I could utter the sweet little phrase my family was taught. It's a signal of sorts. To let anyone in the same "business" as my father know who they were messing with exactly.

But instead I am stuck with Ace.

Not that he wasn't good company.

Again I shake a thought because now is not the time to get Stockholm Syndrome either.

I am reaching for a pile of papers when the door slams open and bangs against the wall behind it. My hand snaps to my chest and I look up to find a frantic Ace.

At first I believed my own thoughts conjured him up or maybe that he somehow knew I was snooping, but then I get a good look at him.

"Oh God," I quietly breath out and take in his disheveled appearance with blood staining his white button up and red climbing up his neck, swiping across his chest. He looks like something out of a horror movie.

"Oh fuck," I say a little louder and move around the desk without thinking and reach out, "Where were you hit? Stabbed or bullet? I can't find an entry point," I mumble the last line to myself as I move my hands across his chest where the majority of the blood it.

I feel his body freeze and tense under my hands and because I'm thinking like a nurse I thought it was because I found where the blood was coming from. My fingers have a mind of their own and they are determined as I start to unbutton his shirt to get a real look at the damage. That is when Ace seems to snap out of whatever trance he was stuck in as he grabs my wrists in his hands.

There was a gentleness I did not expect and it causes me to look up into his eyes, and like the first time I seem to be trapped watching the angry blue sea before me stare back.

"It's not my blood," he says his voice contrasting the gentle hold and I blink up at him taking in the information.

Stepping back, I pull my wrist free and blink rapidly and glance down at the blood stains, "Oh... whose?"

He signs and I want to look up desperately, but instead tuck my hair behind my ears to hear his movements better and keep my eyes focused at his chest. The top Buttons of his shirt still undone.

"A friend," he answers begrudgingly and I watch as his leather shoes step towards me. I feel his shadow hanging over me and I'm not sure why I don't just kick the guy where the sun don't shine and make a run for it. But then again he is a foot taller and I do recall examining his muscles in detail while sedated.

I feel his finger under my chin forcing it up before I can resist. His movements are so quick and fluid that I feel more like prey of a panther than hostage to the mafia.

"You're a nurse?" he asks, my focus at the wall behind him.

Still I nod slowly, having an idea where this is going, "How good of a nurse are you?" He asks but it sounds more like a quiet plea and it stuns me for a moment.

But that was a moment to long, "I said, how good of a nurse are you, damn it?" The grumble of his voice deepens as he demands this from me and it forces a part of my body to click into auto piolet.

The part of my body that knew a humans anatomy down to the 206 bone. The part of me that can push out calculations quicker than a calculator.

The part of me that was the only thing I trusted anymore.

"I wont' ask-"

I cut him off by using the back of my hand to push his finger off of my chin before answering.

"The best. I am the best. Now what happened?"