Ch. 19-Ball

“Ready,” Harvey asks. I nod while handing Harvey my dress. Please be careful with it, Harvey. I never knew a dress could cost so much.

  “Of course she is. We spent the whole day shopping. I’m not letting that hard work go to waste,” Jinx says from behind me. She’s right. Things have been pretty calm recently, and tonight is the night of the ball. I’m nervous as heck because I have things on a very tight schedule. Oh please let things go as they are planned.

  “You look sick. Are you okay,” Kain asks me. Get a grip Eve.

  “Yeah. Headache is all that is,” I lie easily. It’s not that far from the truth. Harvey takes my hand and I smile up at him. Things have been really close between us. We are still only friends, I’ve made that pretty clear with my behavior and Harvey respects that.

     At least I hope Harvey respects that. There’s always disappointment in his eyes when I push him away but what can I do? I’m a spy and this is my mission. Speaking of this mission, news came in that Christina’s cousin mysteriously was food poisoned. We don’t know by who but this is the same cousin who was planning to spend the whole night with Christina. Apparently the cousin is very clingy and Christina was very close to her. That’s the only news I’ve heard from Bond and I heard that from Ranger. Overall, everyone on the mission has been warned to stay on our toes.

  “The traffic around this time of year never surprises me,” James says while driving. In front of me is an endless line of cars and when I look back, there’s an even longer line. I can faintly hear the sound of helicopters in the air trying to leave. I would never be caught dead in a school like this, but here I am. All week I’ve heard nothing but talk about the latest fashions and parties. The boys are just as bad as the girls are but their priorities are a little different.

  “What never surprises me are the blondes who worry about who will dance with them,” Jinx says while looking at her nails that are painted dark blue. The color matches the dress she has to wear tonight. My nails are yellow just like my dress. Jinx and I will do our hair and makeup when we arrive at the castle.

     I sigh because I feel really spoiled. Is this what people mean by having cash to burn but nothing to go up in flames? I have money coming out of my ears and I’m surrounded by others with a never ending supply of it so why do I feel so strange? Am I getting soft? That can’t be it. I trained at four in the morning just so I wouldn’t be caught off guard tonight.

     I don’t have any weapons on me of course but there’s nothing better than a good old fashioned fist fight. I was even able to practice with Riley this morning. This was before I did my nails and took a long bath. I can’t raise suspicion to myself. I catch Harvey looking at me so I give him a quick grin before giggling.

  “I guess you don’t have to worry about that. Lucky you, right,” Kain asks.

  “Are you implying that no one will dance with me,” Jinx asks. Harvey chuckles and I nudge Kain. He shouldn’t get on Jinx’s nerves today. They’re a little weirder than normal and I’ve been trying to figure out that cause.

  “It was only a question,” Kain says with a smirk.

    Jinx rolls her eyes before saying, “I don’t know why I put up with you. You can never just be civilized. You need to evolve.”

   Kain grunts before kissing Jinx’s cheek and saying, “You woman. Me man.” Jinx turns red quickly and Harvey and I burst out into laughter.

   “Shut up! I’m going to disown all of you,” Jinx threatens with a smirk on her lips. 

   “Yes ma’am,” Kain says and that send us through another round of laughter. After our laughter finally calms down, James clears his throat.