Ch. 21-Green light

Ch. 21

    As I strap my weapons on quickly I look at the clock. Where’s Grace? She only has a minute until we lock up. We only have one minute until Grace will be forced to work unarmed and technically alone. Liam is checking his tazer and begins to strap a loaded gun to his side. Liam is constantly checking the clock and I don’t blame him. I fix my knife so it’s strapped to my lower leg and roll my neck. What else do I need? As I grab a few rubber bands and bobby pins I hear Lexie popping her gum.

  “It’s been fun guys,” Lexi says while leaving the room. Riley and Ruby catch my eye and we nod to each other.

  “Remember not to kill,” Ruby says and the two walk out arm in arm. No killing unless our life is on the line. I can remember that. I’m not sure if I’ll follow it though.

  “Do you think Grace’s alright?” I ask Liam. He seems a little shaky. I don’t know how close Liam and Grace have been since the mission started, but hopeful they still speak to each other when they can.

  “I hope so. We can’t wait anymore,” he says. I agree with him and we walk out of the empty room. I really hope nothing goes wrong during this mission. There’s So much at stake and I ‘m not only talking about me. As I turn the corner I hear a large group walking our way from behind. I hear a large bang, and a lot of confusion.

  “Was this some kind of joke?” someone asks. I look up at Liam and he whistles.

  “Talk about good timing,” Liam says. That was a little too good.

   Someone knew we would be in that room. That just proves that we have to be really careful. Liam and I separate as I walk outside and I’m a little in disbelief. I can’t believe I’m about to do this. Lives could be on the line if I don’t do my job properly. I can’t screw this up. I run toward the side of the castle, and I can’t figure out how to get on the roof.

    There are no ladders, no loose stones, no tree branches, and no pillars. I’m getting farther and farther away from where I need to be. I head back to the area I was assigned, and spot a tree toward the back. There’s still a good amount of space from the top of the tree to the top of the building, but it’s my only chance. I jog toward the tree, but stop when I hear voices around the corner. Did they hear me?

  “Are you sure? I really want Harvey to be mine,” someone says. I guess not, but was that Christine? It can’t be. She was just dancing with Harvey. Who leaves their own party?

  “I promise my dear that I’ll give him to you,” someone says. Who is that?

  “Alright. I trust you,” the first person says. I hear what I think is kissing noises before a door opens and closes. I finally release the breath I was holding in, and look around the corner cautiously. There’s no one in sight, but I can’t figure out who was talking. I’ll have more time to think about it when I’m safely on the roof.

    I climb up the tree regardless of me being in heels and a dress. Thanks for the training Ms. Jackson. I can hear a fast paced song being played from the ballroom, and the strong wind isn’t making my climb easier. Is there going to be a storm? I reach the top of the tree and stand up carefully. I hope I don’t slip. I look toward the top of the building and take a deep breath. If I miss, there is a long way down.

    I jump and grit my teeth together when I snag the edge by my fingernails. This bloody hurts like hell! I pull myself up, and roll onto the roof. What the hell ever happened to ladders? As I stand up I try to shake off my Eve personality. I’m still on a mission and Eve would be cursing like crazy.