Ch. 22-Scrapbooks

“And this was when I saved the French Ambassador’s daughter. She was no older than you Abby,” I tell her. Abigail’s ninth birthday is today, and I love hosting parties. It’s a new interest of mine.  

  “No way! You said that Mrs. President told you to stay away,” Jake replies. I laugh at his good memory and continue to flip through the scrap book. Everything I am or ever was is in this book. It’s one of my most precious possessions after family and friends.

  “What bout um…the piwates?” little two year old Catherine, Precious Cat, whose on my lap, asks. Let’s see…ah yes the pirates near the Bermuda triangle. That was one of the easier missions.

  “I saved the world renounced medical professor Jean Christolphe remember?” I ask. Cat nods before continuing to bounce on my lap. It doesn’t take much for her to be entertained at this age.

  “Tell us another story, please?” Robert asks while sending a text message to one of his many friends. Robert shuts the phone off while observing my rule for no phones in the house. They’re always getting tracked, and I’m a little too old to play hide and seek.

   I sigh before saying, “Alright. Did I tell you about my third mission to Africa while under cover as a Prince’s betrothed?” It’s a really interesting story that involves a lot of miss interpreted language and bug bites.

  “Yes Ma’am. You told us that last month,” Jake says. Ah yes. Between Jake, Abby, Robert, Cat, and a soon to be new baby girl how can I keep things straight? I notice Abby tugging on her braid and she groans.

  “I wish mom would let me cut my hair. It’s too long!” Abby complains. Oh complaining will just not do in my house.

  “Don’t think like that deary. You have beautiful brown hair from your mother, beautiful green eyes like your grandfather, and the strong nose of your father. Men won’t be able to take their eyes off you when you blossom into a beautiful young lady,” I tell Abby.

  “Well what did you give her?” Robert asks me, “It can’t be her annoying voice.”

   I chuckle before they can start a fight amongst themselves and say, “My sense of style of course.”

   Abby seems to calm down after my complement and then asks, “What happened after your first mission to London?” Ah yes that’s a favorite of hers.

  “Ah well let me think. It’s been sixty-two years since then,” I reply. My… what time can do. It seems like just yesterday I experienced those chapters in my life.

  “Jinx and Kain got married in a small church with only the most exclusive of family and friends,” I begin.

  “Don’t you mean you, Grandfather, the bride and groom, Jinx’s brother Jared and his family?” Robert asks. Yes that’s exactly who I mean. Jinx and Kain were married a few months after that night. Poor Jinx suffered from two miscarriages before giving birth to a beautiful baby boy named Alex. As much as I told her not to name the baby after my father, she insisted. Jinx claimed at the time that Alex should know who raised the woman who saved her and ultimately himself. I personally think it’s because she didn’t want to name the poor boy Kain Jr.

   I smile before asking, “Would you like to tell the story Rob?”

  “Other than the fact that Lexie married a spy from the French branch, and is in charge of one of the schools there, I’m good,” he says while lounging back on the sofa. Rob is such a sweet boy. There’s so much of life that’s waiting for him to see.

  “Tell us about Christina,” Abby demands. Yes for some strange reason Abby takes a certain liking towards Christina. Perhaps it’s because I’m always sympathetic towards her.