Ch. 3-Enemies

I woke up early thanks to my alarm clock and changed into my uniform. Fran was wearing red plaid shorts and the vest on top of her black shirt. “Any shoes right,” I asked as I put my boots on. She nodded and put on some red high tops. I let my brown bob stay down and brushed the bangs for the final time. Last night Fran helped me get my school bag together so we walked out of the room together and headed for the cafeteria. When we walked in I couldn’t believe all the noise. I saw a few people wearing green uniforms leaving the cafeteria and now saw a sea of red.

Fran and I walked through the line and while she just got cereal, I got eggs, bacon, and two pieces of French toast. We walked toward an empty table and started to eat when Ranger walked over with a brush in hand and an omelet on his plate. “Hello Franny. Hey Eve,” he said as he sat down. Fran gave him a look and he sighed. “Yeah I know but I do try and wake up early. I just get distracted by my awesome body. Is that a crime,” he asked and Fran rolled her eyes.

“I saw kids with green uniforms. What’s up with that,” I asked as I noticed that Ranger was wearing red plaid like Fran and me. “Just different levels. From zero to eight you wear blue and they start school at eight a.m. From nine to thirteen you wear green and they start school at eight thirty. Then there’s us from fourteen to nineteen who wear green and start at nine sharp,” Ranger said and started to eat his omelet. This school seems so organized. When I finished eating I sat back and looked around. “Is this school like the ones on TV with the cliques,” I asked. I didn’t have to worry about that at my old school because no one really wanted to be there.

“Let’s see. Your popular kids are probably the full bloods,” Ranger said pointing to a table in the middle. I looked at Fran and her nose was scrunched up. “What’s wrong with them,” I asked. “Nothing. They just have two spy parents and were pretty much dropped off at birth. They were literally born to spy and have been here their whole lives. The girl with the blonde longish pixie cut is Kacy. She has the best or worst reputation here,” Ranger said. “You say this like it’s a fact,” I said.

“I used to like her. I don’t think there’s a guy here that doesn’t like her but once Franny here entered my life I knew she was the only girl for me,” Ranger teased and Fran blushed. I looked at the table and saw a guy with brown hair, dimples, and muscular arms around Kacy’s shoulders. “Who’s that guy holding Kacy,” I asked. “That would be Hank,” Ranger said. “The hunk,” Fran said and licked her lips. I saw Ranger roll his eyes and he continued. “He’s Kacy’s boyfriend and has been together for about 3 years. That other girl with brown hair in a braided bun is Hank’s twin sister Hansel,” Ranger said. “Does any one go by last names here,” I asked.

“Do you have one,” Ranger asked and I shook my head no slightly embarrassed. “None of us do. We mostly go by our sponsor’s last name if needed but even then the full bloods either go by Jones or Smith,” Ranger said. That was interesting. We got up to throw our plates away when everyone started to clear out. Ranger gave Fran a big hug and said, “Don’t miss me too much darling.” Fran pulled out of his arms and gave me a hug before leaving. Ranger and I walked to class and the desks were the kind that sat two people together. Of course I sat next to Ranger and looked around. The classroom had steps that went up so that everyone could look down at the teacher.

This was my weapons class with Mr. Julius. “Whatever you do, do not raise your hand,” Ranger said and before I could ask why the teacher walked in. He was a Hispanic man with a low cut and a thin mustache. “Morning class,” he said and a few people grunted. “Now where did we leave off,” he asked. No one answered and he looked around the room. I tried to look anywhere but at him but he called out, “You. New girl. What’s your name?” I sighed and looked at him. “Eve,” I said and he checked a list. “Evangeline right,” he asked. “Yes sir,” I said and he nodded. “Well pay attention in class and nothing will be flung at you,” he said and took something out of a briefcase.