Ch. 1-Bond Prep

“Eve,” a woman asks. I open my eyes slowly and see a blinding light. What’s going on here? “Eve,” the lady repeats. I look at the lady’s brown eyes and dark chocolate skin. I recognized her immediately as my school’s Vice Principal. “Ms. Jackson where am I,” I asked. “You’re on the road to recovery. When you saved that girl, Lalita Catkin, you got a nasty bump on the head. I discussed it with the others and there’s no need for you to stay here anymore,” Ms. Jackson said. I sat up and stared at her. “Are you on a sugar low Ms. Jack? What are you talking about,” I asked. Ms. Jackson pulled out two Twix’s and handed me one. “I told you I would get you out Evangeline and I’m a woman of my word. My colleagues and I have been watching you for a while and we have finally agreed to take you in,” she said.

What was she talking about? I started chewing the Twix and asked more questions. “Who are your colleagues,” I asked. “Can’t say here. All will be explained later. Your purse is over there and since you have nothing to your name, this is much easier. The choice is yours Evangeline. Will you come with me right now and leave your life or stay here and end up probably dead,” she asked. I stared at Ms. Jackson and really thought about my options. How could I just leave Bridge now? Luckily her dad was home when I climbed up the window. I didn’t really know where I was going but she made a trail of sorts.

When I saw her near the highway on the edge I just had to do something for her. She was the last thing I had. She was the last person who would claim me as someone and she wasn’t going to die on my watch. I know it’s a selfish reason but that’s what was running through my mind. “Won’t she get suspicious if I just up and leave,” I asked. “No. We’ll provide a cover story for you. Your decision Evangeline,” Ms. Jackson said. I took a deep breath and looked into her eyes. “I’ll do it,” I said and before I knew it I was shuffled into a plane.

Since I didn’t have any clothes besides the ones on my back Ms. Jackson had to take my measurements. “Why did you measure me,” I asked. “We’ll have clothes in your size waiting at the academy,” Ms. Jackson said. Academy? “You took me out of that hell to send me to school,” I asked. Ms. Jackson laughed and said, “It’s not just any school Eve. Now we’ve taken all your weapons, which even I must admit are a lot and the rest will be explained when we land. Just enjoy the plane ride.” Ms. Jackson closed her eyes and I looked out of the window.

I’ve never been in a plane before. I know that might seem like too much info to some but I’ve never had this kind of luxury. I’ve traveled on buses and a few trains with Alexi but never a plane. Too much hassle and too many opportunities for something to go wrong Alexi used to always say. The sky looked so blue and I let myself get caught in the clouds. I wonder what’s the catch to all this. No one just randomly helps someone and not want something in return. No one would do something this big for nothing in return. I didn’t want to question it because I’m the one benefiting.

Eventually my fantasy took another turn when we touched down. I woke Ms. Jackson up and she rubbed her face half annoyed. “Sorry but we’re here,” I said. Wherever here is anyway. Ms. Jackson looked around and stretched. “Ok and did I tell you about adoption,” she asked. “No,” I said. “Well in some ways I adopted you. If anyone asks who is your parent or sponsor or whatever my spy ID is Magnolia8432. Make sure you listen at this school because I can’t bail you out. If you mess this up Evangeline you’ll end up back on the streets and I really don’t want that. You have a lot of potential,” she said and stood up.

“Come on we’re leaving,” she said and walked off the plane. I followed her and stared at a huge castle made of brown stone. “This is Bond Accelerated Preparatory School,” Ms. Jackson said. BAPS? I didn’t focus too much on the name as we walked into the castle. “Welcome Magnolia8432,” a lady said as Ms. Jackson pressed her palm against the wall. “It’s open,” she said and I opened the door for her. We walked into the castle and I was in shock. Kids were everywhere from all ages just doing things. Most were talking but a few smaller kids were running around. “This is the nursery area. Kids stay here until they’re eight,” Ms. Jackson as we kept walking. We walked up the stairs and Ms. Jackson said, “Eight through thirteen stay here. You’re fourteen now right?” I nodded unsure. I think I’m fourteen. “Well if anyone asks, you’re fourteen. You are on the next floor.”

We walked up another flight of stairs and at that point I was wishing for an elevator. I saw a few kids kissing and fighting. Aren’t teachers supposed to stop this kind of stuff? Most of the kids were just talking or reading and everything seemed too normal. Well as normal as a bunch of kids in a castle could be. “Come on we have to get you registered,” Ms. Jackson said as we walked into a room. “Hey Stacy,” Ms. Jackson said and the lady nodded. “She’s in his office,” Stacy said and we walked right in.

A Chinese lady with long blackish blue hair to her waist was watering a flower with her back to us. “Ms. Kimi she’s here,” Ms. Jackson said. Ms. Kimi turned around and gave me a smile. She had a pink rose in her hair and I wasn’t sure if it was real or fake. “Hello dear. Ms. Evangeline correct? Please have a seat,” she said as she sat. I sat down in the chair next to Ms. Jackson and Ms. Kimi continued to smile at me. It was a little freaky to be honest. “Well Ms. Evangeline I’m so glad you decided to join us. We have been watching you for a while now. You gave a few of our best spies a hard time and that’s when I knew I just had to snatch you up,” she said.

“Who is this we,” I asked curiously. “We are the top spies in the United States. This is one of our three schools around the country. Don’t you just love the Louisiana air? Well this is a school to train young spies and we send a few of the older ones on missions that we adults can’t participate in,” she said. “So I will have to work for you,” I asked. “Not just for me. Think of yourself as an agent for the United States.” “Will I have to kill people,” I asked. “Would that be a problem?” No it wouldn’t and I hated to admit that. I thought I could leave that part of my life behind. “Ms. Evangeline we know that this is not going to be a problem but for the most part you should not have to kill anyone. We are not assassins. We are spies and our job is mostly to protect and get information. Understand,” she asked.

I nodded and she smiled. “Now here is your schedule. Don’t worry you take the same classes as all the other students just at different times. There are no levels here. If you fail however you will be kicked out of Bond Prep. Your dorm number should be on the top of the page and if you need anything important feel free to ask,” she said. I noticed that she stressed the word important. I looked the paper over and I had Mr. Julius-Weapons, Ms. Emarti-Acting, Mr. Cortez-Defense and Offense, Ms. Patty-English, Math, and Science, Ms. Danielle-Social Studies, Music, and Health, Mr. Dutry-Technology and thinking skills. “Now class is on a nine to five schedule but we advise our students to practice as much as possible so all facilities are always opened. All students must be in bed by one a.m. however. When you get in your dorm room there will be a manual to thoroughly describe what goes on here,” Ms. Kimi said.

“Is this everything,” I asked. “Yes. Please enjoy yourself here Evangeline. Make friends and enjoy life. Stop and smell the flowers,” she said and twirled in her chair to face her flowers. “Come on Eve,” Ms. Jackson said while standing up. I followed her lead and we walked out of the office. “Room number,” she asked. “392,” I said. Where there really three hundred and ninety-two rooms here? “Now I told them to mostly get you skirts because any one can fight in pants. It’s very important to know how to fight in a skirt. Don’t worry I made sure most were skorts but two are skirts. I ordered one pair of pants for you and some regular clothes. You have class six days a week and the training is tough but you should be able to handle it. Don’t shame me because I’m claiming you as one of my own,” she said.

“Thanks for the supportive talk,” I said and looked up at Ms. Jackson who was munching on a Kit Kat. She is going to overdose on chocolates. “You should have a room mate but if not count yourself lucky. These were the worst twelve years of my life,” Ms. Jackson said. “When do you graduate,” I asked. “It used to be twenty one but they needed more spies so they lowered the age to nineteen since most kids were getting picked up at your age,” she said. So I have to go through this for about five years? We came to a stop when we reached room 392. “This is where I leave you. I’ll be checking up on you so don’t slip up,” she stressed. “I’ve got it. I can take orders,” I said and took a deep breath. This is my new life and I have to accept it. I should be happy for the chance to be something different. This is my time to create a new me.

********************

Ok this was the first chapter. I hope you enjoyed it! Tell me what you think about it!