Chapter 4: Welcome to the Jungle

The next morning, everyone was gathered in the cafeteria, and all the workers were at their tables with bowls of their slips. Jake was at the end of the table of the scientists and tech as they were conversing over the science and plants of the planet.

But he didn't care as he poked at his food, flicking his eyes at them occasionally. Kira was in the same boat. Just seating at the table, poking at her food at whatever they were speaking about.

It didn't have her interest, just stared at her food in boredom. Her wonder was back to the voice that was calling out to her, she couldn't help but think about her mother.

She almost cracked a smile, but a pat on her shoulder turned her attention. She looks up to see one of the Marines looking at her "Hey, come walk with us." she tells her.

Kira hesitated for a moment, glaring at her. "Come on, what do you get to lose?" she said with a smile. Kira flicks her eyes past her as Jake is waiting at the end of the table, just shrugging at her.

Kira then looked away with a groan, tossed her spork down, and stood up. "All right. There we go," she said, stepping away. Kira said nothing as she followed her.

~8~8~8~

Jake and Kira followed her into the hangar, "I'm Trudy. I fly all the science sorties." she introduced herself. Then they walk up to one of the scorpions. "And this here is my baby." she taps the side of the nose. 

Then walks over to the side as they follow. "Hold on a second. Hey. Wainfleet! Get it down!" she shouts to the Marine as he steps up the turret gun. "We bounce at zero-nine." she reminds him.

"Yeah, I'm on it, capitaine!" he spoke sarcastly. She jumps from the side of the scorpion. "Vine strikes still loose," she informs the engineer. As they walk away.

"You guys are packing some heavy gear," Jake informs her, Kira flicks her eyes over her shoulder, seeing some of the glances that were shot at her as they just whispered.

But she recognizes the look they gave her. Fear. They were afraid of her, and they should be. Then her eyes snap as a cart immediately stops before hitting them. "Watch it!" Trudy shouts at them as the three walk past.

"Yeah, that's 'cause we're not the only thing flying around out there. Or the biggest," she warns, Kira looks out the mech suits that they pass through. "I'm gonna need you on a doorgun. I'm a man short." Trudy informs him.

Jake just grins to himself. "I'd thought you never ask." he jokes, making her laugh. Then they came to a stop. "There's you man. See you on the flight line," she spoke, fist-bumping him.

Jake rolled up to the workout station as Kira went to join him, but Trudy caught her arm, "No, no. Let the boys talk. Walk with me." she spoke, nudging her head over her shoulder.

Kira just tilts her and follows her, they walk side by side as Trudy just looks at her. "What do you want?" she questions, but Trudy just smiles. "God, you look just like him," she spoke.

This catches Kira's attention. "Your dad, Adam Smith. He was a legend among the Marines. Best shot in the Back-ops. No one could beat him." she spoke with praise.

Kira just looks at her as they walk back to the scorpion. "I got a peek at your file. You rack up some points back on Earth, and everyone is terrified of you, especially with the little stunt you pulled in the hall a few days ago," she informs her.

Kira just scoffs, "And how being Augustine's kin got you some pull to be here, must have hated that." she spoke as she pulled into the pilot chair, Kira pulled herself in and sat next to her. "Are you trying to get on my bad side?" she questions.