Chapter 7 ~ 𝘓𝘰𝘷𝘦

You lifted the cup to your lips, smelling the fresh aroma of flowers whiffing through the air as you relaxed in your chair. The smell was refreshing, you thought, sipping away at your drink. Sitting beside you, Vanitas was picking away at his Tarte Tatin, finding the dessert to be too sweet for his tastes.

His eyes carried themselves over to you, watching as you slowly chewed on your food while you listened to the conversation between Luca and Noé. He wasn't much of a sweets kind of person. He had always found it to be too overwhelming for him.

If something had apples, sugar, and flour, they tasted about the same to him, which was too sweet.

He let out a small hum from underneath his breath, clarifying his thoughts. If he were to think harder about it. . . he liked sweet things as long as it was paired with something savory and salty. His tongue swiped across his lips as he kept his fork between his lips, his eyes still focused on your body.

Although Vanitas may not be a major fan of desserts, you didn't think too much about it in your personal opinion. You had always found them to be a luxury.

As you dug your fork into the Tarte Tatin, you found your core warming up at the taste. It was just as sweet as him. You continued to slowly chew your food, enjoying the flavor of the dessert as you smiled softly.

You wondered if he would have liked this dessert as much as Noé. It had the right amount of sweetness and tartness that he liked.

As you turned your head to Vanitas, he only gave you a mischievous smile, his gloved hand raised to wipe away the small crumbs at the edges of your rosy lips.

He stuck out his tongue, licking away at the tip of his thumb as your cheeks burst into a shade of red. You fumbled with the edges of your clothes as you quickly looked away from him.

"Noé. (Y/N), I can't express how grateful I am for what you two did last night. Your actions were brave and selfless. If not for you two, my life and the lives of many vampires would have been lost." Luca thanked you two, giving the man a warm, innocent smile as you kept eating through your meal, trying to ignore Vanitas' attempts at claiming your attention.

Which brings you to grab your fork and shove some desserts in his mouth as Vanitas squirm in your grip as you hold his head.

"Oh, no. It was nothing." Noé brush it off.

"I agree, Noé and Y/N. Let us bid you thanks. Please." Jeanne added, keeping her hands underneath the table as you peered at her. She was giving you a kind smile, her eyes as warm as her heart as she looked back at you. "In spite of my absence, you managed to protect Master Luca. I'm truly grateful."

"But, I..." Noé shook his head as he tried to explain the situation, denying their accusations. You tipped your head slightly to the side as you watched Vanitas place his Tarte Tatin in front of the man, catching his attention for a moment before snapping his head towards Luca.

Did he not enjoy the treat? You thought to yourself, pressing your lips into a small pout.

"You have the wrong idea! (Y/n) and I wasn't the one who put a stop to all that chaos, that was Vanitas' doing!" Noé pointed it out.

Suddenly, Luca's expression morphed into disgust and shock as he dipped his head downwards, avoiding Vanitas' cocky smirk. "Obviously. I'm aware that no curse-bearers met their end at the hands of a bourreau. That's thanks to him. Though I hate to admit it." Luca replied, clearly annoyed.