Chapter 18 ~ 𝘚𝘯𝘰𝘸 𝘧𝘭𝘰𝘸𝘦𝘳

Vanitas then jumped up and caught the book as you followed before catching him and avoiding the rubble. You then propelled upwards with Vanitas still in your grasp. Going up toward Chloé.

Gazing at the no longer paralyzed Chloé, who was being held gently by Jean-Jacques, and called out to her, "Listen to me, Chloé! You can vanish with this wicked world of yours, or go back to your sad life! Whatever you decide! Even if you survive this, your good name is already long-destroyed! The Church will refuse to admit the mistake they made, and they will continue to hunt you as the Beast of Gévaudan!"

You were confused about why he hadn't simply begun the usual reverse operation, was it too late for her? Or could it simply not be done against this kind of malomen?

"Vanitas -!" You worried.

"Either way will be hell! Even so, it's up to you!"

A birdcage manifested and trapped Chloé inside, still, it didn't stop Jeanne and Jean-Jacques from encouraging her to go with them as they reached out and grasped her arm.

Realizing that all she wanted was to have people who loved her the way she was, made it easier for Chloé to take the final step and leap into her friend's outstretched arms.

"The engine is at its limit! Chloé's form can't be sustained!" Johann shouted.

You helped Vanitas find a perch while also holding the book alongside him. He was yet to comment on why you were doing this but noticed slightly the increase in power coming from the book itself.

The power withing you has summoned your Dragon-Phoenix soul appeared. She spread her wings and flew towards them, covering for warmth of light. It maybe not enough to save Chloe being set free from that pain.

You feel your hand clenched as you looked up to Vanitas whose  hand encompassing yours tightly as if frightened to continue, frightened to fail.

"No time for an inverse operation!"

"Inverse-"

"Damn it! I have no choice! Lend me your strength, Luna!" The mark of possession stretching across his arm emitted a blue glow along with the book, the light burst from the pages and replaced the ominous purple space.

You noticed within the blue that there were sparks of purple. Assuming those sparks were coming from you, coming from your purple dragon-phoenix birthmark.

For a moment,you felt at peace and while bathed in the blinding sapphire light.

You then heard Vanitas' voice, steady and warm, "Ah, now I see. So, that was your true name all along. Huh. The one called Canorus, 'She who makes music with snow flowers'."

Sky of stars shattered, revealing the blue sky above. What the sky looked like long before Chloé trapped everybody within her closed-world.

The book's power was so grand as it restored Gévaudan to its normal state.

During the process, many of the people gathered in the library felt the grip on both of you, the consciousness slipping and and you and Vanitas.

You lost your grasp on Vanitas and you were once again separated.

Vanitas opened his eyes and blinked owlishly before the events prior caught up with him.

He examined his arm of the mark of the Blue Moon. "It's really starting to spread."he said to himself.

Gazing at the clear sky, he burst out laughing, astonishment etched onto his face. Just like in the Chasseur's base, he could barely process the absurdity of the situation, "We're still alive! I still don't understand why! It's utterly ridiculous! Right, (Y/n)?"