Chapter 13 ~ 𝘈 𝘤𝘩𝘢𝘯𝘤𝘦 𝘦𝘯𝘤𝘰𝘶𝘯𝘵𝘦𝘳

Vanitas had done exactly as he said and woke both you and Noé up when you had reached Gévaudan. Once the three of you had left the train and station, you were soon travelling via a cart to your desired destination.

You, Vanitas and Noé we're riding on a wagon with two dhampirs, one being Dante and the other being Johann.

Noé gasped, "Look at that, Vanitas, (Y/n)! There's a village down there! That's Saugues, isn't it? Wow, it's such a gorgeous place! I'm not sure why, but the sight reminds me of Averiogne."

"That's it. Why have you been so relentlessly obnoxiously chipper since we boarded this wagon?" Vanitas asked, clearly bothered by shivering.

"Why do you look like you're praying for an early death?" Noé countered.

"Because I'm freezing cold!"

"Aw. Someone's a big baby." Dante teased.

"Dante?" You asked in confusion.

"Tais-toi! Unlike you two imbeciles, I am a highly sensitive creature!" Vanitas countered. Hearing that, you sat closer to Vanitas, removing your white coat and throwing it over him.

"(Y/n)-"

You cut him off, "It's okay, good thing I always carry a spare coat." you pulled Vanitas closer to you by wrapping your arms around his neck, which, despite the look of surprise, he seemed to appreciate given the small smile plastered on his face as he nuzzled closer.

"And by the way, why are you two information hustlers even here?" Vanitas asked.

"We can do whatever we want to. What's it to you, buddy? Like always, we're trying to collect information to sell!" Dante replied.

"Precisely." Johann finally chimed in.

"Not to mention, there was that whole mess with the Chasseurs, as well! Those enhanced humans or whatever they really did a number on me a while back, and I won't be satisfied until I given them the clobbering they so justly deserve

"Not to mention, there was that whole mess with the Chasseurs, as well! Those enhanced humans or whatever they really did a number on me a while back, and I won't be satisfied until I given them the clobbering they so justly deserve." Dante growled.

"Oh, Dante, it's so sweet of you to avenge me! You could have just said you wanted to murder that mad ruffian who assaulted me, but of course, I know exactly what you meant!" Johann said.

Vanitas in your arms then said in a hushed voice, "I'm sure gathering intel is one part of why they're here, but there's probably an ulterior motive, too."

"First, we'll stash our belongings at the inn, and then we'll head to where the bodies were found. I'd like to search for signs of the Beast before it gets too dark out." Vanitas concluded.

Noé nodded with a serious look. "Okay."

Soon, you all got off the wagon and placed your stuff in the inn before walking through the forest in search for what you were all looking for. Traces of the Beast.