Chapter 1: Karl Motherfucking Jacobs.

Hailey's P.O.V.

"Fuck" I whispered to myself as my palms collided with the hard ice beneath me.

I slowly pushed myself off the ground and into a sitting position. As I began to wipe the built-up ice off my skates, I heard the voice of my coach above me, "That looked like shit, Hails"

A dry laugh escaped my lips as I mumbled, "Felt like it too..."

Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Coach Brian roll his eyes, "Are you taking this seriously? You know nationals are just a few months away. We're running out of time Hailey"

I bit the inside of my cheek to contain the words bubbling inside of me. After taking a breath I responded, "I am taking this seriously. Some things just don't happen overnight."

I rose and steadied myself on the ice to meet the stare of my coach.

Brian is great. He's been my figure-skating coach since I was six and while his standards are high, I know he's always wanted what's best for me. He just has an interesting way of showing it.

"Clearly," He rolled his eyes once more, just before spinning on his heel to skate in the opposite direction of me while shouting over his shoulder, "One more time!"

I let out a sigh and skated to the opposite side of the rink.

. . .

Karl P.O.V.

"Hey, do you know what time we're supposed to get the ice?" I looked up to see Henry standing before me, looking ever so impatient.

"Umm, not sure, but it looks like the people inside are wrapping up, so it shouldn't be too much of a wait" I mumbled back, reverting my gaze to the camera in my lap.

All Henry did was grunt, turn around, and walk away.

"Yeah, no problem buddy..." I whispered to myself as I watched his figure strut down the hallway.

Sometimes I wonder why I do this to myself. I had a good job. I didn't need to be the cameraman of Duke's hockey team. I guess it was just another way to fill my time like I didn't have enough going on...

The door to the rink slammed open, breaking me from my train of thought. I looked towards the source of the noise and saw a very angry girl stomp into the room.

I couldn't stop my wandering eyes as I watched the girl and what seemed to be her coach, argue back and forth with each other.

"Hey, pervy" My head snapped away from the scene and over towards Henry, "Quit checking her out, we're on the ice"

I rolled my eyes at his comment as I collected my things.

. . .

Hailey's P.O.V.

My eyes widened as I re-read the words on my laptop for the fifth time.

"Thank you for your application, Hailey! We would love to continue communication with you moving forward about potential job opportunities. We officially would like to offer you the position of "Senior Production Manager" here at Beast Crew. We look forward to hearing from you!
- Jimmy Donaldson & Co."

I had originally applied as a joke. Well kind-of.

I had never done any real film work outside of high school/college productions. Sure, I was the lead on many projects and eventually became one of the best production managers in the state, but Mr. Beast had applicants from all around the world. I truthfully never thought I'd get picked.

Brian was soo gonna kill me.

As my cursor blinked in my open draft of an email, I thought about nationals. This is my senior year and my last opportunity at a national title in my collegiate career. I had been working towards this my entire life. I knew work would pull me away... but, I needed a job, and this job could open the door for so many other production opportunities.