Chapter 4: Just My Luck

Hailey's P.O.V.

"Oh fuck"

Usually, I'm a big fan of the rain. I love rainy days and cold rainy weather where I can cuddle up with a book and a hot cup of coffee, open all of my windows, and listen to the relaxing sound.

Unfortunately, today the sound was anything but relaxing.

"Yeah, I know" Chandler let out a stressed breath of air, "The crew's almost done moving everything. We rented a box truck because we couldn't think of any other way to store the equipment" He turned to me with pleading eyes, "Is Jimmy going to die?"

I shook my head, chills running down my spine at the thought, "No Chandler, we knew this was a possibility. We have the risk management team and they're going to do everything in their power to keep Jimmy safe. It's going to be okay." I tried to reassure him, but my tone was anything but comforting.

A hurricane. Of fucking course that's what North Carolina decided to dish out today. A fucking hurricane. Just my luck.

I stared down at the white and green Starbucks cup pressed into my palm, feeling myself fill with hot rage. If I hadn't let Karl talk me into stopping for a coffee I could've been here to help move our equipment before everything got ruined.

When we first got back, Tareq informed me that two cameras had already been flooded from the severe weather. Who knows how many more will be unrecoverable...

I ran a stressed hand over my face, feeling my makeup begin to move underneath. I didn't care. I couldn't care.

I was too mad. Too worried. And too disappointed with myself.

What was I doing? Really? With Karl Jacobs of all people? Getting distracted and getting coffee?

I know better than this.

"Okay, what's left to do?" I asked Chandler, as we began to speed walk into the campsite, preparing to assist in any way we could.

"Honestly, not much," He stated, "There is one thing we saved for you though..." He trailed off, stopping in his tracks a shameful look gracing his features.

My heart dropped in concern, "What?" I said, the panic evident in my tone.

"Someone still needs to tell Jimmy... and we think it would be best coming from you," Chandler said sheepishly, wincing at the sound of his own words.

I groaned in frustration, before throwing my half-drank cup of coffee into the closest trash can with more force than originally intended.

"She took that well"

"Watch it!" I yelled over my shoulder, not bothering to turn around to berate Karl. I was too upset to look at his stupid face.

I made my way over to the box truck angrily, before grabbing the handle mounted to the right side of the vehicle and hoisting myself up and into the back-storage area of the cabin, where Beast Crew had moved all of the monitors and expensive camera equipment.

To say it was crowded would be an understatement. You could barely enter the truck much less navigate through the rough terrain of cameras, monitors, TV screens, wires, extension cords, and any other AV equipment you could name.

I looked over at Tareq who was organizing the cameras towards the back, trying to create as much space as possible. "Do you have a walkie-talkie?" I asked him, a clear edge of annoyance in my tone.

He looked over at me, understanding my irritation, and silently handed over his walkie-talkie. His stressful thoughts were evident on his face.

"Thanks," I grunted, the only gratitude I could muster at the moment.