Chapter 12: Lingering Questions

(Listen to "Linger" by The Cranberries)
Hailey's P.O.V.

The silence was absolutely killing me. I listened to the soft humming of the car's radiator, as we cruised down the road, yet I still felt a chill in my bones.

I felt the cold of the car window pressed against my temple, cooling the feverish feeling bubbling beneath my skin. I winced as Karl hit a pothole and my forehead pressed harder into the glass.

I am never drinking again.

I closed my eyes, hiding from the glaring beam of the morning sun. It was much too early to face the painful existence that was my current reality.

As I stared into the darkness of the backs of my eyelids, the images of last night waltzed across my mind. Every curve of my body was on fire like there was some magnetic force slowly pulling me closer to the man sitting on my left. Yet I kept my eyes squeezed shut, not being able to face the lingering tension that winding between our bodies.

I can't believe I asked him to kiss me...

I can't believe he kissed me...

I've kissed plenty of guys before and it's always meant nothing... so why can't I stop thinking about the way his lips held mine? The images invaded my mind before I could stop them. The feeling of his hand on my cheek, tangled in my hair, slowly trailing down my back...

He was haunting me.

I let out an audible groan with the last thought. It rippled through the silence of the car, and I heard Karl shift in his seat next to me.

I curiously peered an eye open to glance at him suspiciously, but when my gaze met his, he was already staring at me "What?" I grumbled, trying to mask the red tinge on my face with unwavering annoyance.

"Nothing," He mused, a smirk dancing on his features, completely unaffected by my misery, "Just wondering how that hangover's feeling?"

I rolled my eyes at the feigned concern lacing his words, "Fabulous" I spit out sarcastically.

Our silence resumed, only excused by our unspoken agreement to never talk of last night again. I rested my head against my awaiting palm as I stared out the window, the familiar scenery flashing by me so quickly I could feel my stomach turn in retaliation.

I grimaced at the feeling, "Never let me drink again" I moaned out. I hid my face in the crook of my arm, not wanting to face the harsh morning sun any longer.

Karl chuckled a bit before saying, "Tell it to Aly. Now pull your shit together, we're here"

I sat up from my slumped position and laid my eyes upon the massive unit that was Beast Co.'s warehouse.

I felt a sigh leave my lips as I glared at the gigantic metal building, "Great"

. . .

"Morning, lovebirds"

The taste of last night still lingered on my lips as I felt nervousness course through my blood at the voice. I turned to stare at the shit-eating grin plastered across Nolan's face, as he stood, arms crossed staring at Karl and me.

I rolled my eyes before spitting out, "Go eat a bag of dicks, Nolan"

"Hey, I could report you to HR!" He quipped, a fit of giggles sounding through his words.

I heard Karl's deep chuckle sound in my ear behind me. I tried to ignore the shivers that ran up my spine as my body instinctively responded to him.

I felt Karl take a step closer to my backside, making my stomach begin to swirl. I refused to meet his eyes, too concerned that he would see my hidden need to feel his lips once more. I monitored his every casual move as he bent over slightly to whisper in my ear, "I'll see you in the meeting, Dunnlap"