Chapter 5: Suite 313

Hailey's P.O.V.

"I'm so sorry"

My mouth was hung open in absolute shock, repulsion, and fury. My words escaped me as my breath caught in disbelief.

I couldn't speak. I couldn't breathe.

This couldn't be happening.

"W-what?," I stammered, the shock etched on my face, "Can you repeat that? I-I think I blacked out."

The concierge offered me a sympathetic smile, "We are fully booked for tonight, we only have one room available"

I struggled to control my temper. Of fucking course this would happen to me. After this disastrous day of managing the idiots I work with, this was the last thing I needed.

"Do you think any other hotels in the area would have another room available?" It was Karl's voice that cut through the silence.

She shook her head with a pained expression on her face, "I'm so sorry, but I don't think so. Due to the hurricane, a couple of small towns in the area had to evacuate, everywhere is completely booked"

Unbelievable. Jimmy had reserved almost every room in this damn hotel, yet, due to Kris having to go take care of Tucker, and Chandler opting to bunk with Nolan rather than room alone, neither Karl or I had anywhere to sleep.

"So," I said very, very slowly, "This is our only option?"

Again, another sympathetic smile from the 20-something blonde standing in front of us, "It seems that way..." She trailed off, leaving me horrified for the night ahead.

I desperately began searching for solutions, however, I quickly realized that there was nothing else to be done...

I felt Karl's stare burning into me. Something about his stupid stare made me want to punch him in the face. I was exhausted, frustrated, and just ready for a hot shower.

In a defeated whimper I managed to mutter, "Alright, we'll take it"

"Perfect!" The peppy woman's voice rang out, as she began hurriedly typing on the computer in front of her, "I'll just need to see your IDs, but you will be staying in suite 313"

I cringed as the realization set in, before muttering a weak "Thank you".

She smiled fondly at me, blindly ignoring the lingering thickness that hung in the air.

"Alright, these will be your room keys. Please, enjoy your stay!"

I grabbed the room keys off the counter before muttering a non-convincing 'Thanks' and beginning to walk towards the elevators.

The small lobby felt stifling with the constant noise of a rhythmic drip, drip, drip of rain falling through a crack in the ceiling. I shifted nervously, the silence palpable.

Ding.

The elevator doors slid open as we stepped inside. I clenched my jaw and began to rub harsh nervous circles on the skin below my ear.

Karl leaned down and pressed the '3' button without a word. The agonizingly slow ascent heightened my anxiety until, finally, we reached our floor.

Neither of us had spoken since our argument in the car.

Another small ding was heard from the machine, as we were greeted with the small lobby occupying the beginning of the third floor. Together, Karl and I stepped out of the elevator and began to wander the halls of the hotel, searching for suite 313.

I spotted suite 313 quickly, but I hesitated to call Karl over. Dread filled my bones as I stared at the door.

I know it shouldn't be a big deal. I mean, Karl and I were both adults, we could be mature about this... But yet, I couldn't shake the lingering feeling that this was different. The thought of sharing this room, sharing this bed, made my skin crawl.