Chapter 11: My Last Night Single

TW: **Sexual Harassment**
(I put a TW before the section that mentions it)

Hailey's P.O.V.

"You can't be serious" Alison deadpanned, not even bothering to look up at me from where she was rapidly scrolling through the internet, reading any article that contained my name.

I held my face in my hands, as my back rested against the headboard of Alison's messy bed, "I am so wishing we had that bottle of tequila right now" I murmured, the ridiculousness of Jimmy's plan still weighing heavily on me.

Alison finally pulled her gaze away from the screen that was illuminating her features in the dim lighting of her room. I made the mistake of taking a glance down at her phone, as my eyes were assaulted with another photo of Karl and me blushing vigorously over a cup of coffee.

I scowled at the picture, a harsh reminder that this wasn't a nightmare.

Ally flipped her phone to face me, forcing me to confront the picture of myself bashfully smiling at the brown-haired boy, "Do you see that?" She asked.

I groaned in annoyance, moving to once again hide my face in my palms, already knowing what her next words would be, "Because I sure do! It looks like you're blushing at Karl Jacobs." She said, a look of pure bewilderment and excitement lighting up her features.

"And so what if I am?" I said finally, glaring at the sheets loosely wrapping around my body.

"W-What if you are?!" She repeated in shock, "Hailey, I know you don't want to talk about it, but this is getting ridiculous! All you're doing is avoiding your feelings. I mean, you spent what? Six months praying on his downfall?! Like seriously Hails, feelings don't just change overnight. I know this relationship isn't real, but are you sure you don't want it to be?"

My head whipped up to face her, "No!" I protested immediately, "No Alison! I haven't completely lost my mind!" I shot her a look of disbelief, "I told you, Karl and I are just friends..."

Alison was silent as she leveled a glare at me.

Don't make me say it.

My eyes pleaded with her, hoping to conceal the truth I wasn't yet ready to face. But Alison wasn't having it. She had given me plenty of time to sort through things on my own, but now, she was owed an explanation.

I rolled my eyes in annoyance, knowing she wasn't going to let it go, "Okay fine..." I murmured, pulling my gaze from hers, "Our friendship has been...flirty" I said, my eyes scanning the room as I searched for the right words.

"Uh-huh," She said, an 'are you kidding me' look plastered on her features, "Hailey, you're flirty. That's just who you are." She began, her honest words cutting through my poorly disguised feelings, "You know who you aren't?" She asked, before flipping her phone around once again to reveal yet another photo of me and Karl, "You aren't the girl who blushes over grabbing a quick cup of coffee"

I felt myself sigh, my head becoming confused with her words, "I know..." I admitted softly, lowering my gaze to the soft fabric of the oversized hoodie engulfing my frame.

Alison seemed to sense my hesitation as her voice turned softer, "Hailey, whatever you're feeling is okay..." She grabbed my hand, drawing my attention back to her eyes, "I just want you to be honest with yourself. I don't want to see you get hurt" She admitted, her ability to read all of my insecurities never failing to amaze me.

I grabbed onto her forearms, beginning to feel incredibly uneasy at my overwhelming rush of emotions, "Ally," I pleaded, looking up to her with glassy eyes, "I don't know what to feel. This is all happening so fast" I shook my head, the thoughts of panic I was fighting to ignore beginning to surface, "I'm scared. I'm scared to lose everything I've worked towards. I'm scared to lose my job. A-and-" I hesitated, mustering my courage, "I'm scared of how much I seem to enjoy spending time with him..."