Chapter 7: The Death of My Dignity

Hailey's P.O.V.

~ Four weeks after the Buried Alive video wrapped ~

I rubbed my hands together rapidly, hoping to chase away some of the cold that seemed to radiate through my body. It's late November now, and the weather in North Carolina is becoming more unforgiving by the second.

I adjusted the position of my skating bag's strap that hung loosely around my torso and persistently dug into my skin, as I took long strides to cross the parking lot. A bitter feeling of dread enveloped me for the practice that lay ahead, as I roughly pulled on the icey door handle to the rink.

Upon entering the skating center, I was engulfed with the warm welcoming air of the lobby. My skin became covered in goosebumps as winter's chill was chased from my bones by the heat. I smiled tightly at Nancy the receptionist, giving her a small nod in greeting and walking down the hallway towards the women's locker room.

Exhaustion already filling my bones from the early hour, I pushed the door open to the locker room and sauntered to the furthest locker from the door, discreetly tucked in the back corner with the name "Dunnlap" printed proudly above it. As I approached my locker, I harshly threw my skating bag into the hollow space, already feeling short-tempered due to the practice I would be forced to endure.

Sighing to myself, I began to search through my belongings locating my skates, legwarmers, deodorant, and my gloves as I readied myself for the rink.

SLAM

I nearly jumped out of my skin, as the sound of metal clanging together rang through the near-silent locker room. I sharply turned my body towards the sound, a look of frightened shock still evident on my face.

There stood the source of the noise smiling slyly at my surprised form, with more energy pulsing through her than I thought possible so early in the morning, my best friend, Alison.

"Why so jumpy this morning?" Alison said in a coy tone, as she fought to contain the chuckle bubbling inside her.

"Ha-ha" I mocked her, rolling my eyes and facing back towards my locker, "It's 7:30 a.m., Als. It's too early for this shit"

I could practically feel her eyes rolling as she retorted, "You're deflecting.."

I grabbed my skates from my bag before turning around and heading to an adjacent bench to begin lacing up, "You know why I'm jumpy Ally" I grumbled in response, shooting her a look I normally reserved for Karl.

She giggled at my displeasure. God, she was having too much fun with this.

I harshly shoved my foot into my skate, trying to ignore Alison's mocking words, "It's gonna be fine Hails, I promise. Sure, it might be a little awkward, but what's life without a little excitement, right?"

Her overly cheery tone made me want to vomit. "Alison," I huffed out, dragging my gaze up to meet hers, "We don't have to sugarcoat it, today's going to suck. I know that, you know that, hell I'm pretty sure even Coach Brian knows it" I bitched, as I glared at my uncoperative skating sock, "But, I'm going to act like a professional and get this over with. And to help numb the pain, tonight we are going to get so outrageously drunk that I won't even remember this practice"

She crossed her arms an enormous smile taking over her features, "That's my girl"

I rolled my eyes, a small chuckle escaping my lips at her statement, before returning to dutifully lacing up my skates and preparing myself to face my nightmare of a practice.

When I couldn't stall any longer, I sighed to myself yanking my leg warmers over the laces of my skates, and reluctantly stood up from the bench. I looked over at Alison, who sat patiently waiting for me to finish, "Walk with me?" I asked, needing the moral support.