Chapter 14: White Glove Mistakes

Hailey's P.O.V.

The familiar scent of amber, oak, and vanilla soothed the surge of anxiety that bubbled inside of me as we parked outside of the house. Well- if you could even call it a house.

From down the street, it looked like any typical party. The flashing lights, shitty muffled speakers, and trash littered across the front lawn were all normalities.

But when Karl shifted the car into park outside the front gate I began to notice the differences between your typical college party and this. Security lined every edge of the property, a line of fans was wrapped around the front gates, and photographers stood a few paces away their eyes scanning every entrance and exit for their next picture.

I felt my jaw go slack staring up at the mansion. Inside the sprawling fences, you could see thousands of people both inside and outside the house dancing, talking, and drinking.

I squinted my eyes at the scene in front of me, shaking my head slightly in confusion, "These are the types of parties you go to?" I questioned, looking back at Karl, unable to keep the disbelief out of my voice.

He scoffed and rolled his eyes at my tone, "No one parties harder than nerds with money" He shrugged nonchalantly, before turning the Tesla off and exiting the car.

I looked back towards the house, a new rush of insecurity making my stomach squeak as I thought about the role I would have to play. Before I could convince myself to back out, Karl appeared in front of my line of vision and opened my car door in one smooth motion.

I looked up at him, trying to conceal my nerves as best as possible, but I knew he could see right through them. He extended his hand for me and I took it graciously, not quite confident with the platform heels adorning my feet.

As I stood, I stared at the comforting smile he gave me. He leaned in slightly and whispered in my ear, "Show starts now and does not end until we are driving away from this house, okay?"

I nodded, not trusting my voice. He gave me another smile before whispering once more, "You can always tell me if something's too much. Just us coming here together is enough, we don't have to put on an elaborate display"

A faint smile twitched on my lips. I sighed and stared at the ground, contemplating my next words, "Karl..," I prompted, taking a deep breath of courage before raising my stare to meet his, "Make us famous tonight"

A glowing smirk spread across his features as he shook his head playfully at me. He glanced down at the pavement chuckling slightly, before dragging his eyes back up to my face painfully slow, ensuring to take in every curve that filled my skin-tight dress.

His eyes finally met mine as he took a confident step closer to me. His gaze flicked down to my lips before darting back to my eyes. My mind could barely register his words as he lowly growled, "Fine," He paused, taking a deep breath to collect himself, "Trust me when I say that after this party, no one will doubt that you're mine"

I refused to look away. Our lips were mere centimeters from each other as we stared intensely into each other's eyes. The word triggered something primal in me, commanding my body to respond to his, my mind in another realm entirely. My chin raised in challenge as my mind raced, "Good" I couldn't register the words leaving my mouth, my entire body was on fire.

Another amused smile played on his lips as he pulled away from me slightly, before silently offering me his arm.

Back to playing the role of the gentleman, I see.

I silently accepted, weaving my arm through his as I held onto his form, a too-honest smile dancing across my lips. And together, we walked towards our demise.