Chapter 6: Circles

Hailey's P.O.V.

...

"Hails..."

...

"Hailey, wake up"

I opened my eyes in a panic, quickly analyzing my surroundings as my breathing quickened and became harsher.

I frantically met the worried stare of Karl. He had a concerned look etched into his features, both of his palms resting on my shoulders gripping me tightly.

"Hey, hey, hey," Karl's voice soothed, "You're okay, you're okay"

I felt my clammy palms and panicked breathing, as my eyes darted around the room in fear. I sat up quickly in alarm, beginning to become aware of my surroundings.

"W-what?" My voice became hoarse as I attempted to choke out a few words.

"I think you were having a nightmare, you started crying in your sleep.." He said, a familiar gentle tone present in his voice.

I reached my hand up to my cheeks and saw that he was telling the truth, as I felt where the tears had made themselves a home decorated across my face.

"S-sorry" I whispered, my words getting caught in my throat a bit, "I didn't mean to wake you up"

Karl shrugged, a tight smile playing on his lips, "You're alright, I wasn't asleep anyway"

At his words, a confused look passed over my features, "What time is it?"

"Uh" Karl began to fumble for his phone in his pocket, he pulled it out and read off, "2:57 a.m.."

"Oh" Was the only response my mouth formed, "You haven't gone to bed yet?"

"Umm" He scratched the back of his neck awkwardly, "No, I just um" He coughed a bit, it was clear I unintentionally asked about a sensitive subject, "I have insomnia, so some nights are worse than others..."

I felt my eyebrows crinkle in surprise, "Oh, I didn't know..." I trailed off.

A sympathetic look danced in his eyes, "How could you? Besides," He cleared his throat, a forced cheeriness lighting up his features, "It's kind of perfect with me being a streamer and all... it's like it was meant to be..."

I nodded my head silently at his sentiment, retracting my eyes from his dark outline to trace the seams lining the hotel sheets. I gently brought a fingertip to the hem and began to trace its intricate pattern, the motion soothing me.

As I traced the satin my words found me, "So, you stream at night then?"

I glanced up at Karl to see him fidget nervously, "Uh, yeah sometimes. Usually when I'm streaming alone or with the SMP guys"

I gave him a confused look, "SMP guys?"

A small amused smirk made its way to his lips, "Sorry, nerd speak" He chuckled humourlessly, "A large part of my content is playing on something called the Dream SMP"

As I opened my mouth to ask my next question, he held up a hand before I could even get a word out, "The Dream SMP is a multi-player Minecraft world where streamers role-play and create governments."

My eyebrows shot up in surprise, "Oh"

He rolled his eyes at my response, "Yeah.. didn't think it'd be your cup of tea"

Taken aback by his assumption, I scoffed and said, "Alright Jacobs, think what you will, but I actually think larping is totally cool"

At this, he chuckled, "Oh yeah? And what makes it so interesting to you?" He asked me, a new spark of interest lacing his tone.