Chapter 11: Tea, Study breaks & Austin Mahone

▫Payton▫

The next morning ... I could barely get up. I was so tired from being up all night ... Acacia and Bethany convinced me into having an oovoo sleepover with them. Anyway, I had just rolled out of bed when my phone buzzed, causing me to jump.

"Hello?" I asked, accepting the call without checking the name.

"Hey Payton," a bad attempt at an English accent comes onto the other end of the line and I laugh, running a hand through my hair.

"Hey babe! How are you?" I ask and Justin curses.

"Damn. How did you know?"

I laugh. "I'd recognize that bad English accent any where," I say and Justin laughs for a moment, but then the line goes quiet. "Are you okay? Is everything okay over there?" I ask and I hear nothing on the other line. "Justin, are you okay?" I ask once more and a finally he says something.

"I'm fine."

"Then why did you call?" I question him again and he chuckles.

"I miss you ... a lot," says Justin and a big smile grows on my face.

"Aw baby, I miss you too! If it weren't for exams I'd be with you," I say and then sigh, hearing Justin sigh shortly after.

"Call me later, okay? I've gotta go to a meeting."

I sigh again. "Alright. I love you, Justin."

"I love you more, Payton."

***

Around ten in the morning, I was sick of studying. So, I slipped on a pair of ballet flats, grabbed my house keys and phone, then headed out on a walk towards downtown Nashville. It was about a ten-minute walk to the nearest Starbucks, and someone was always there to talk ... so I was good for a couple hours. The moment I stepped outside, camera flashes went off like crazy. I'm not even that famous ... why are they here? Anyway, I took a deep breath and put a smile on my face, promising myself that I'd be civil with these stalkers with cameras.

"Hi," I smile and wave to them, feeling myself relax. One of them approached me, camera off and holding out a pad of paper and a sharpie. "What can I do for you?" I ask, raising an eyebrow.

"I'm sorry to bother you," they start and I relax a little more. "But my daughter is a big fan of you and your sister ... I was wondering if you could write a little message for her?" they ask and I nod my head, taking the sharpie from him and taking a quick minute to write a message for this guy's daughter. When I was done, I give him the paper and the sharpie back, and then say goodbye as I rush down the walkway to the street. Then, I hear the paparazzi start to follow me, so I start running as fast as I could in my black flats.

"Whoa there! Someone's in a hurry," I hear someone say as I reach the street corner. I look up and laugh as I see one of my close friends.

"Austin!" I smile and give him a quick hug. "How are you? Why are you in Nashville?" I ask and he hugs me back for a moment. When he pulls away, the sign across the road shows us that we can walk across, so we end up walking and talking.

"My mom wanted to come check out Nashville, so I thought I'd come with her. I thought you were in L.A!" Austin says, changing the subject once we were safely across the street.

"I was, but I had to come back. Exams start next Friday," I say and shrug, resting my head on his shoulder. He puts an arm around my shoulder and we continue to walk and talk, occasionally stopping to take selfies, to sign an autograph or to talk pictures with some fans. "Wanna go to Starbucks?" I ask as we near my favourite coffee store, Austin nodding his head in response. Silently, we walk into the coffee shop, the smell of coffee, tea and various other things welcoming us the moment we open the door.

"What do you want?" asks Austin and I shrug, doing a quick scan over their menu on the wall.

"Just get me a green tea. I'll go find us a place to sit."