Chapter 30: VMAs!

// August 12, 2012 //
- Payton -

Taylor and I, along with her management team, were in the limo on our way to the MTV VMAs. I'm really excited. I heard Tyler Oakley's gonna be there ... I'm gonna try to meet him. He is one of my favourite YouTubers to be honest.

Anyway, we sat in an awkwardish silence. Taylor and I texted each other instead of talking, because one, every time we tried to speak someone would tell us to be quiet and two, we didn't really want the management team to be commenting on every little thing we talked about.

"We're about to reach the red carpet," the driver informs us and the team nods their heads, one of them brushing off our outfits with a lint roller ... even though we've been sitting in a car for about an hour. I don't understand what would get on our clothes.

"Don't forget, you need to keep up your good-girl image. If any interviewer asks you a question about your personal life or something negative, just change the subject. Got it?" briefs Taylor's publicist and then Taylor nods, quickly checking her phone. I watch as a smile grows on her face, and I nudge her side.

"Did a boy text you?" I whisper and, while she continues to smile, Taylor nods her head. I laugh and shake my head, going back to the lit screen in front of me. I had been texting Niall ever since we got in the car. He's absolutely excited to be at the VMAs and from his most recent text, Niall informed me that they had just arrived at the red carpet and also that he was being forced to put his phone away.

God, I can't wait to see him.

"Payton!" Taylor's publicist snaps, startling both me and Taylor a little bit. "Put your damn phone away, we've arrived at the carpet."

Yes, this publicist definitely does not like me. It's okay by the way she's acting, I don't like her much either. Whatever, I think someone said that she's quitting soon or something. Maybe the next publicist will be nice.

"Come on Payton! I think the boys are close by," Taylor say and then pulls me out of the limo. We walk with Taylor's management at least ten steps behind us. "Do you hear them chanting? I bet you One Direction are nearby. Maybe you'll see Niall soon," teases Taylor, while we pose for the paparazzi. I get on my tip-toes and scan the carpet and the crowd for my boyfriend.

"I don't see him!" I tell Taylor and she laughs while searching for Niall. She waves at someone and then tells me to look over at where she's pointing.

"I found him," she smiles and I smile widely as I see the band not that far from us on the carpet. I smile at Liam, who then nudges Niall and also whispers something to him. I watch as he, Niall, looks up and makes eye contact with me. I get butterflies in my stomach as Niall, after being allowed to leave, walks over to where Taylor and I are. Being the great sister that she is, Taylor pushes me towards him. "Go get him," she whispers and I laugh as I run to wear he is.

"Niall!" I yell happily as he picks me up and spins me around. When he puts me back on the ground, I giggle and kiss him quickly. "I missed you," I whisper to him, while he forces me to take pictures with him for the paparazzi.

"I missed you so much. You told me that you weren't coming," Niall whispers in my ear, moving his arm tighter around my waist. I give him a kiss on the cheek.

"I wanted to surprise you ... so surprise!" I explain. My explanation makes him chuckle and my heart may or may not have skipped a beat. We take a couple more photos before Niall drags me towards the interviewers that had been practically begging for us to come over. We stand in front of two of them, obviously from the same place, and immediately we're just attacked with questions.

"How have you guys been?" they ask us and I answer for both me and Niall.

"We've been great! We haven't seen each other for about a month now, so tonight is our reunion," I say and Niall smiles, rewrapping his arm around me. We're asked more questions, most of them for Niall and a couple were for me. At some point, Niall's called back to his band, so we end the interview and I give him a quick kiss before we head our separate ways.

When I meet back up with Taylor, she had only moved a few feet away from our first spot.

"You and Niall have to be the cutest couple ever," Taylor gushes to me while her team ushers us further down the carpet. I smile and twirl a strand of hair around my finger.

"I hope others think so. Especially his fans ... I've seen the tweets sent to Eleanor, I'm not sure I'd be able to handle that," I confess and Taylor lets out a small laugh.

"Payton, you put up with hate when you were with Justin! I'm one hundred percent sure you'll be able to deal with it," she tells me as we walk closer to the entrance of the building. "Plus, Austin and I will defend you. You've got nothing to worry about."

I laugh and side-hug her. "Thanks Taylor," I smile and she side-hugs me as well.

"No problem," she starts, going quiet as the management team quickly moves us into the building where the show is gonna be held. After Taylor's publicist shows us to our seats, Taylor continues, "I've gotta look out for you, that's what I'm here for Swizzler."