𝕊𝕨𝕖𝕒𝕥𝕖𝕣 𝕎𝕖𝕒𝕥𝕙𝕖𝕣

Chapter 11: Sweater Weather

After running down the steps with Lex on Fern's back to help with his asthma, the two ran to the car, covering their faces and what they could on their way there (with Lex still on Fern's back). At the car, Fern unlocked his boot, grabbing a bunch of towels, hoodies, sweaters, pants and blankets in a big transparent bag and locked it again, ushering Lex into the back seats lined with towels he put down while he hopped into the front.

He pulled out a clean set of hoodie, sweater and sweatpants, handing them to Lex who stared at his outstretched arm with confusion. "Take them. You can change out of those wet clothes, and you can dry your hair with one of those towels." Lex's mouth formed an 'O' shape in understanding as he nodded, taking the clothes from Fern.

"Thank you."

Fern turned around, giving Lex the privacy he needed. "No problem."

Maybe he should've stayed outside in the rain. At least then, he wouldn't have had a problem with Lex changing in his car. But right now, sitting in the driver's seat as Lex changed right behind him, his eyes kept drifting to the rear-view mirror, catching small glimpses of Lex's chest as he pulled of his jacket and hoodie. Or when he struggled with his wet jeans, how his legs glistened with rainwater.

He banged his head down harshly on the steering wheel, causing the car to let out a hoot and a groan to escape his lips. "Ouch," he mumbled, rubbing at the sore spot he created on his forehead. Lex eyed him, pulling on the sweatpants before moving forward just enough to be within reach of Fern. "You okay?" He asked, watching as Fern turned to look at him, but quickly looked away again.

"I-" Fern cleared his throat. "I'm fine. Get dressed, it's cold." And he fumbled with the buttons on his dashboard, putting up the heat after he turned his car on. Lex nodded, still visibly confused but threw on the hoodie, opting to leave the sweater. The hoodie fit well, coming up to cover half his hands, the black material soft between his fingers.

He grabbed one of the towels, drying his hair with it and hoping that his mullet would dry in the car's heat. He jumped into the passenger seat beside Fern, who busied himself with checking that their phones weren't damaged. Lex wrapped the blanket Fern handed him around himself, bringing his knees up to his chest so the blanket covered his entire body. "Don't you want to change too?"

Fern looked up at him and smiled, some of the earlier tension only he could feel having already left his body. "Yeah, I'll do that now." He carefully manoeuvred his body into the backseats, taking the bag with clothes with him. Lex retrieved his phone from where it sat on Fern's seat, unlocking it and busying himself with the device. Fern returned in his seat with a beige sweater and white sweatpants, turning to Lex.

"Unfortunately, it looks like there's a storm coming." He looked out the window, seeing the grey clouds flash with a sudden burst of white. "And I'm sure you're hungry. The shops around here would probably close for caution, and I wanted to take you somewhere nice, but..." He gestured outside with his hands.

Lex's eyebrows came together. "That's okay. I don't mind."

Lex found himself sitting in a diner with one of Fern's blankets around him, the orange glow of the diner's lights reminding him of the sun. Fern sat across from him, wiping away the water on his glasses. His freckles were dotted with rainwater, lashes wet and brows furrowed as he concentrated on his task, making sure to not break the fragile glasses.

When he finished, he placed the gold-rimmed glasses on his nose, ruffling his hair so it was out of his eyes. He looked up at Lex who was already looking at him with a cheesy smile. He didn't question it though, opting rather to start a conversation. "I'm sorry I couldn't take you somewhere better. I thought it wasn't supposed to rain until later tonight."

"I said it's fine. Plus, I get to have a mug of hot cocoa." Lex smiled wide. "It's okay, really."

Fern nodded, smiling a small smile. "If you say so." A waiter came up to them asking for their orders after they looked at the menu. When asked what he wanted to eat, Lex asked to have a simple sandwich and that hot cocoa he wanted so much. Fern laughed at his excitement, ordering his food with juice instead.

When their food arrived, Lex was quick to thank the waiter and Fern, starting to eat is food. Fern didn't start as immediately, pulling out his phone and taking a quick picture of Lex as he bit into his sandwich and stole another of when Lex's mouth was full, and he was smiling at the camera, Fern laughing the entire time.

Lex insisted on taking a picture of the car through the window they sat at as it rained, the raindrops on the glass beside them adding aesthetic effect to it all. When their stomachs were satisfied, Fern paid for the food, insisting that he had asked Lex out, so it was only fair that he did.

The two hurried back into the car, grateful that Fern had heated the space before they left. He drove them to Lex's place, humming along to the music as Lex sang softly to himself. The entire drive, Fern listened intently at Lex's voice, wishing he could sing louder and more confidently.

Outside Lex's door, Lex and Fern shared a sweet kiss, pulling away with Fern pecking him on the forehead. With a thumb rubbing across his cheek, Fern spoke. "See you soon?"

Lex smiled, pecking Fern on the lips longingly before opening the door, and walking in, "Yeah, of course." He smiled one last time at Fern, waving his hand as Fern walked to his car, backwards. He closed the door, announcing his return and running up the stairs. He locked himself in his room, smiling wide and jumping under his covers to think over the events of the day.