𝕐𝕠𝕦𝕣 𝕊𝕚𝕕𝕖 𝕆𝕗 𝕋𝕙𝕖 𝔹𝕖𝕕

Chapter 24: Your Side Of The Bed

"I hate you." He whispered, throwing himself into the uncomfortable car seats, sweat dripping from his hair and making his clothes stick to his body.

His whisper was loud enough for Mateo to hear, because the other male answered without missing a beat. "You dirty liar. You love me."

Lex huffed, wiping his forehead. "I'm reconsidering my love for you. How could you?"

Mateo chuckled, patting his thigh. "A little exercise doesn't hurt, bun." He repositioned the younger boy's body and closed the door, walking to the driver's seat and hopping in.

"One: exercise does, in fact, hurt. Not everyone is Muscle Man. Two," he scrunched his nose, cringing hard. "Don't ever call me that again."

"Honey muffin. Cupcake. Pup. Kitten-"

"Stop. I hate you even more."

Mateo's boisterous laughter had him smiling softly to himself. "Sorry, love. It's just really funny to try and get a reaction out of you."

Lex rolled his eyes playfully, letting his head rest on the car window as he slowly drifted off to sleep, letting Mateo drive them home.

Lex woke up to subtle shakes to his shoulder. The window pane where his head rested was blurry with the soft breaths he let out as he slept. He blinked his eyes open, rubbing over them and clearing them of possible crust.

He scratched his fingers over his scalp, yawning softly as he looked up at Mateo who smiled fondly at him as he stood on the side Lex wasn't leaning into. Mateo presented his left palm for Lex to accept. "Come on, sleepyhead."

Lex gladly took his hand, hauling himself out the car and following Mateo into his house. Mateo, with his hand tightly clasped around Lex's, unlocked and opened his front door, walking in with a tired Lex in tow.

After closing the door, Mateo led Lex to the staircase, but the boy refused to move forward, planting his feet near the edge of the first step. "My legs hurt. I'm not climbing those." He eyed the stairs with distaste, turning toward the hallway that led to the living room when Mateo tugged him back with the hand holding onto him.

He huffed a laugh when Mateo lifted him by the waist, arms holding him close to his chest as Lex circled his limbs around his waist and neck. Mateo began the trek up the stairs, taking him into his bedroom's connected bathroom.

He set Lex down on the edge of the bathtub, turning the hot and cold water taps to let the bathtub fill as he plugged the drain. "You can undress while I run the bath. It'll help relax your muscles a bit."

Lex nodded in reply, pulling the sweaty shirt he wore over his head and throwing it in a corner of the bathroom. His shorts and underwear went next, and he sat back down on the edge of the tub, hissing quietly as his warm skin touched the cold surface of the tub.

Mateo made a move to leave after Lex began to lower himself into the water. He stopped when Lex's hand wrapped around his wrist, tugging him closer as he voiced his desire for Mateo to join him.

He did, after undressing, lowering himself into the water in front of Lex who dipped himself lower into the water until only his eyes were above surface. He sighed softly through his nose, watching the water bubble before lifting his torso out of the water and taking the shampoo and conditioner bottles to wash Mateo's hair.

They gravitated toward each other and met in the middle, smiling softly at each other as Lex squirted some shampoo onto his palms before rubbing it into the older male's hair. He scratched lightly, massaging the shampoo into his hair and playing around with the suds that formed.

Laughing to himself, he made curved horns using his hair with the help of the shampoo. Mateo's irises moved around behind his closed eyelids, but he kept his eyes closed, smile widening as he listened to Lex laugh and waiting patiently as he let Lex have his fun.

The younger male hopped out of the water abruptly, the water sloshing wildly with his movements, but he paid it no mind, rushing into the bedroom where he dropped his phone on Mateo's bed and grabbing it. He returned to the bathroom to see Mateo frowning to himself but still sitting in the mass of water and suds.

When he heard the tell-tale sounds of Lex taking pictures of him, he laughed aloud, throwing in a peace sign for good measure. "I'm sending these to Fern." Mateo smiled wide, rubbing his hands over his face.

"Okay, but can you wash my hair now?"

Lex rolled his eyes with a smile, placing his phone on top of the pile of clothes in the corner and re-entering the bathtub, immediately cupping his hands in the tub to collect water to rinse out Mateo's hair.

Mateo washed Lex's hair in return, pressing kisses all over his face after he was done. They took turns washing their bodies, stealing kisses from each other.

Lex sighed out loud once he hit the mattress of Mateo's bed, curling up and inhaling the smell of Mateo's sweatshirt. Mateo joined a second later in shorts and a muscle-tee, scooping him into his arms as he kissed his closed eyelids.

Lex smiled, fluttering his eyes open and staring at his boyfriend in front of him. It was comfortable like this, being in each other's arms and not perturbed by the lack of conversation but Lex's mind was still flooded by the guilt of his past actions, the guilt of being so easily forgiven by his loving boyfriends.

He sighed, snuggling himself closer into Mateo's chest where he played with the fabric of his t-shirt nervously as he constructed his words carefully in his mind. "Mateo."

Mateo, who had been playing with Lex's hair, noticed the frown on Lex's face and tilted his head upward so their eyes could meet. "What's wrong?"

Lex stared into Mateo's eyes sorrowfully. "I wanted to apologize. I acted selfishly and childishly and it put you and Fern through a lot of pain."

Mateo's brows furrowed. "What? Where's this all coming from?" He cupped Lex's jaw with a warm hand that he hoped would exude some comfort for Lex.

Scrunching his eyes shut, Lex replied solemnly. "After Anastasia's death. I ignored the both of you for my own selfish stupidity. I shouldn't have done that, especially since the both of you didn't deserve it. I acted like a child who didn't know what to do. I felt like a child who didn't what to do. I'm so, so sorry."

He didn't know it, but his hands were shaking as the clutched Mateo's arms. Mateo rubbed his side, frowning as he watched his boyfriend, thinking over what he'd said. "It's okay. I speak for Fern and I when I say we've forgiven you."

Lex let out a shaky breath. "That's the thing. You're both so caring and supportive, and all I did was act childishly. I swear it won't happen again."

Mateo pulled Lex closer to him, tilting his jaw and initiating a soft, slow kiss. It was supposed to be meaningful and sweet, showing how he had truly forgiven Lex and how he really loved him. Lex was still gripping him tightly, but the shake in his hands had stopped and he reciprocated the kiss, turning his head and sighing softly.

"I mean it when I say I've gotten over it." Mateo spoke against his lips when they parted. "Yes, it hurt and at the time I was upset, but I've moved on. Don't beat yourself up about it. We all make mistakes, but we have to learn from them, right?" Lex nodded, laying his head on Mateo's chest.

"I love you. I really do."

Mateo pecked his cheek. "I love you too, Lex. More than you think."