⁹ tears of the gods

—

MADELYN HAD NO IDEA WHAT TO DO OR WHAT TO EVEN THINK, she hadn't expected for quint to leave a bag of pills quite literally taped to her front door, right out in the open for anyone to see, not even just miles.

"m-miles don't be mad—" she began saying nervously, not wanting any more fights or arguments to happen between them, they had finally progressed somewhere that she was happy about and the last thing madelyn wanted to do was ruin everything that was going for them.

"—i'm not mad" miles cut her off sternly, causing her eyes to widen as she stared at him in disbelief, "y-you're not?" she uneasily questioned him in utter shock, which only made miles sigh.

"i'm not mad at you" he clarified for her before looking down at the small bag that she was still holding, taking it out of her hands gently to stare at it—-shaking his head in anger.

"i don't care how long this has been happening, i don't care what deal you guys have going on, i don't care about any of it, but this stops now" miles sternly said to madelyn, she stared at the older boy in shock still.

"miles... i feel like i should explain my—" she began saying quietly once again, but he shook his head and cut her off, "—you don't have to explain yourself, all i'm saying is shut it down now" he repeated himself sternly once again.

madelyn looked up at miles with intimidation and almost look of slight fear, which didn't go unnoticed by miles, causing his face to drop as he analyzed hers.

"look, i promise i'm not mad at you, i just care about you a lot and i don't want to see you go down this rabbit hole. this shit isn't good for you, it's the last thing you need" he explained softly to her, causing her to suck a breath in before nodding her head in an understanding manner.

she felt a bit of her heart twist at his words, he cares about her.

miles cares about her.

madelyn had never really heard that before.

madelyn lacked structure for pretty much her entire life, she was never sure how to handle stability when it was in front of her, dysfunction had become routine. it had come to the point that in her life, when something was stable, it resembled dysfunction.

"you... care about me?" she asked, she didn't know how to react, she didn't even know what else to say to that.

it honestly seemed like the only appropriate answer.