¹⁰ underneath the willow tree

—

MADELYN SAT AT THE KITCHEN TABLE, doing her schoolwork quietly as miles sat next to her, offering to help out with her math homework, which she still couldn't do no matter how hard she tried.

"you're doing it wrong" miles spoke up from beside her, making the girl sitting next to him turn her head to face him, her eyes softening as she looked between him and her sheet of paper in confusion,

"wh— how?!" she said in frustration as she looked back at her piece of paper, "the area of a circle is pi R squared, maddy" miles clarified for her, which only made the younger girl groan out of frustration.

math was like a foreign language to her.

"look" miles took her pencil and leaned over to be closer to madelyn, "you're doing the steps backwards..." he began explaining, however, madelyn wasn't even looking at the paper.

she was just looking at him.

she couldn't even hear a word coming out of his mouth, she was just admiring the boy that she was grateful enough to even be sitting next to, sitting so close to at that.

"—doing step five before four— are you even listening to me?" miles broke her out of her trance, making madelyn jolt in her seat for a moment as she saw miles looking right at her,

it took a moment of silence for madelyn to comprehend what miles just said to her.

"oh i'm listening" she said with a dreamy look in her two different colored eyes, which only made miles smirk as he saw the look in her eyes, he began laughing for a moment,

"you're cute, you know that?" he asked her through his small laughs, making madelyn's cheeks flush a shade of red as she felt all the heat in her body begin to rush to her face, miles made her more nervous than he even knew.

or maybe, he did know.

the problem with madelyn was she didn't know if miles was calling her cute from an attractive standpoint, or from a little sister stand point.

madelyn had her head rested on her hand as she still continued to look at the boy in front of her dreamily, not even attempting to hide it anymore—-and even if she did, miles would have known, he always knew.

but, she flinched when miles snapped his fingers in front of her face, breaking her out of her daydreaming trance that she was in.

"as cute as you are, ms. jessel will kill me if you fail another math test after i tutored you" miles reminded madelyn, which only made her groan out of frustration before putting her head on the table in her arms.