¹¹ blood of the stars

—

MADELYN SAT ON THE COLD METAL EXAMINING BED, waiting for a doctor to come in, she kicked her feet impatiently as she wore her unflattering hospital gown that they made her put on.

today was the day she promised her aunt and uncle.

she was getting tested for cancer.

she had her long, brown hair tied up in a bun on her head, resting her hands beside herself in a tensed position, her two different colored eyes staring down at her feet that were kicking.

the nurses weighed madelyn before they put her in a room, they declared she was underweight for what her height was—-right in front of her aunt and uncle, but thankfully, they weren't allowed to be in the room for this part.

the door of the examining room opened abruptly, causing madelyn to flinch as she turned her head to see the doctor come into the room.

"hi, i'm doctor hansley, ill be running some blood tests today, okay?" the younger man that was in his mid thirties came into the examining room, noticing the fear that was wiped on madelyn's face.

"don't nurses do this?" she questioned in confusion, "yeah, usually, but your aunt and uncle requested for me to administer all the tests, is that okay?" he asked her in reassurance,

"yeah" she quietly said as he began filling out some paperwork on a clipboard and going to his desk for a moment, looking like he was reading something on a sheet of paper.

"so your mom passed away from cancer?" the middle aged man questioned as he looked over to madelyn, making her tense at the question before responding, "yeah, it was like seven to eight years ago" she quietly responded.

"yeah she had leukemia when she was pregnant with you and didn't know..." he began saying, which only made madelyn's heart beat faster, "...but it's not common for cancer to be transferred through a pregnancy, but it is good to make sure" he reassured her.

madelyn felt a sigh of relief escape her lips.

it's not common.

but that doesn't mean it's impossible.

"cancer is also genetic in some cases, so with some tests we will be able to find out if you carry that gene and go from there" he reassured her once again, a shaky breath escaped madelyn's lips.

the doctor walked over to madelyn, wrapping the velcro strap around her arm and pumping the small ball, taking her blood pressure as it squeezed her long arm—-writing something down on his notepad afterward.