Grey Skies: Chapter 4

Max could not believe this was happening. Sophie here in his arms, touching her like this, had to be a hallucination, a vivid dream brought on by too much beer and the heat of the afternoon. Except it was better than a dream. Her skin was soft and warm under the pads of his fingers. The tiny mews she made as he sucked on her neck or dragged a thumb across her dark nipple. The burning at the base of his spine and the agony of where the seam of his shorts cut of circulation.

He thanked his lucky stars Campbell had tossed the condom into his duffle bag back in the barracks. "Always be prepared," his buddy had taunted. Max hadn't laughed at the joke. In the bars where women bee-lined for men in uniform, Max was not their first choice, rather the sidekick who bought them beer while they waited their turn to get their hooks into bigger fish. Only after months of working side by side and what he hoped was teasing and flirting had Bug kissed him in a darkened corner of the poolroom in the bar in Naples. Their night off from the base taking an unexpected turn.

Sophie shuddered against his lips, and he kissed her. This woman didn't play games.

To be truthful, everything was happening a little too fast for him, like they were on a mission, and she wanted to be first on the scene to nab the target. But how could he resist? They'd been inseparable most of the day, him sipping cold beer in an attempt to cool the furnace raging in his chest every time she brushed a body part against him. Her knee, thigh, elbow, finger, shoulder. Each tap, poke, slap, squeeze a signal he had hoped he read as attraction. He'd been right.

He cupped her breast again. "Your like sunshine in my hand."

"What?" Her lips scooted away from his. "Sunshine?"

Embarrassment swirled in his stomach, and he flopped onto his back. Of course, he'd screw this up. Whenever he opened his mouth, the wrong thing came out.

A hand landed on his chest, and her teeth tugged on his earlobe. "How am I like sunshine?"

Her purr vibrated in his head and made him twitch. Again. Deft fingers traced the lines of his abs, moving down and dipping underneath the waistband of his shorts. If she got anywhere near his cock, this evening would be over in seconds. Maybe nano seconds. He snatched her wrist and rolled them over, pinning her hand above her head. Her chest shook underneath him and her mouth split into a smile. She seemed to like this. Him in control.

He was better at following orders rather than giving them. But he could try. For her. "You're radiant." He nudged her chin, and she acquiesced, turning her face away from him. He pecked at the spot he'd found earlier and his reward was a tremor he hoped of delight. "You light up any room you walk into." He claimed her mouth before she had a chance to protest. She tasted like a summer's day. Fresh fruit and clean water, the river he swam in as a child. He could spend all night simply kissing her.

Not Sophie. There was no doubt she had more than tasting each other's lips on her agenda and he'd be the man to give her anything. At least tonight. With effort, he released her mouth and swept kisses along her neck. Down across the smooth skin of her chest until he found her breast. With his tongue in place of where his finger had swirled, he licked her alert nipple. "And you're incredibly hot."

Her moan made up for the lost kisses. This time, he was doing something right. Was it the words or the actions on her delicious skin? To test the theory, he switched breasts and grazed his teeth across her hard nub.

"Oh, Max."

His name from her mouth made his manhood pulse. Relief was needed, and he reached down, undid the zipper of his shorts, and released his aching erection. Freed, the respite was brief as Sophie squirmed beneath him, her hands pushing at the remnants of her dress. He assisted, slipping the material over her hips, the strap of her thong coming away with the outfit.