Grey Skies: Chapter 47

The next time Max woke, he knew exactly where he was. The scent of vanilla that tickled his nostrils sent tendrils of pleasure down to his toes. Arms stretched over his head, he elongated his frame. His knee only protested with a twinge of pain, which was easily ignored. He felt renewed. A new man.

A man in love.

With a woman who loved him.

He opened his eyes, ready to kiss that woman. Sunlight peeked from underneath the bedroom curtains, washing the room in a greyish light. Max turned over, a "Good Morning, Sunshine" on his lips. The words floated across an empty bed and his chest twinged at the lack of Sophie. His fingers flexed against the cool sheets, missing her warmth.

Wondering if he'd slept in, Max checked Finn's phone. 8 am. A text from Emily's phone sat on the home screen confirming their lunch at 1 pm and a heads up Mary was also coming with them.

Max groaned. The last thing he wanted to do with the few precious hours he had until they expected him back on base was to be polite to Mary. He considered texting back and cancelling the plans, but he didn't want to disappoint Emily or miss the chance to see Lucy. The next time he'd be back in town, she'd be 5 months older.

A bang of a pot from in the kitchen caught his attention.

Sophie.

Perhaps he could convince her to come back to bed? A shot of desire zipped along his spine at the thought of repeating last night. Never in his life had he experienced such closeness with another person. With Bug, sex had been on her terms and the physical high was addictive and had left him exhausted, yet he'd missed the sense of connection. Not until he'd slept with Sophie did he understand what he was missing. A look from Sophie held more emotion, more meaning, more of a partnership. Last night had taken that to a new stratosphere. He felt he'd touched Sophie's soul and her his. They had built a connection, a bond that cemented them together. Her 'I love you' was written on his heart and he brimmed with confidence.

If only he didn't have to leave today.

Unable to be far away from her any longer, Max unwound himself from the sheets, pulled on his briefs and padded out of the bedroom. The sight of Sophie wearing an apron, her ebony hair held back by a bandana, made his mouth water. His stomach gurgled in anticipation of another Sophie-inspired dish. The joy in his heart expanded to a smile on his face. With his new job, every morning could be like this.

Max crept up behind her, hands finding her hips, and pecked at the side of her neck. "Morning Sunshine."

She jerked in surprise, and Max cocooned her in his arms. Her muscles relaxed, and she leaned into him, but didn't avail her lips for him to kiss. She tipped her head down. "Are you hungry?"

"Around you? Always." He ground against her backside, demonstrating what she did to him. "Breakfast smells amazing. But maybe we could put it on hold." His knuckles brushed up her side, aiming to cup her breast.

Sophie stepped out of his grasp. "The biscuits are almost ready."

The ground beneath him seemed to shift, and the hairs on his forearms tingled. Something didn't feel right. His old friend doubt crept under his skin and snickered in his ear. Had her 'I love you' been a slip in the passion of the moment? Or worse, not meant for him.

He watched Sophie's back as she retreated to the other side of the kitchen.

A sliver of cold steel settled in his heart. He knew it had been too good to be true. In the kitchen on Thanksgiving, Sophie had made it clear she was still very much in love with her fiancée. That he was the one and only for her. It was impossible to compete with a dead man yet, Max had hoped he could at least be a consolation prize. That his love had the power to offer her companionship, maybe even enough passion to sustain her interest in him.