Grey Skies: Chapter 33

The Dance of the Sugar Plum Fairy floated across the packed tea room, competing against the murmurs of New York gossip and champagne glass clinks. Sophie nibbled on a crustless cucumber sandwich and smiled at Evelyn Harrington.

From the cheery red couture blazer to the diamonds at her neck, sparkling in the soft light from the chandeliers above, Thomas's mother looked every bit the matriarchal head of an affluent family. The Christmas Thomas brought Sophie home to meet his parents less than a month after they met volunteering on Thanksgiving, Evelyn proposed the idea. A girl's afternoon of tea, sweets, and chitchat for the woman with two sons and no daughters. That first outing, Sophie had expected an interrogation, prying into her past to see if she was good enough. Thomas's mother had surprised Sophie, treating her with kindness and compassion. Evelyn insisted on making the event a tradition, even after Thomas's death, and Sophie found herself unable to deny the woman who had almost been her mother-in-law.

Evelyn's china cup hit chimed against its fine saucer. "What do you think of the Assam Gold tea?"

"Surprisingly sweet." Sophie ran the pad of her finger around the rim of her own teacup. "It's a good addition."

"We tried the leaves on our trip to India last month. I've been obsessed."

Sophie avoided Evelyn's gaze, concentrating on the fine white crystals in the sugar bowl. "Sorry about not making Thanksgiving dinner."

"You were missed."

The back of her throat tingled. "My friend Emily needed me."

Evelyn's sweet smile faded. "Sophie, you know you are welcome at our home any day of the year. You are family." Sophie's insides twisted. There had been no wedding. She wasn't formally a widow. She wasn't legally part of the family. Evelyn leaned forward. "No matter what changes in your life."

Sophie straightened in her seat. "I'll find a new job soon. There simply aren't many opportunities this time of year."

"Of course you will. You're a talented chef and any restaurant will be lucky to have you. Maybe Emily's brother-in-law will decide to bring you on full-time for his new endeavour." Evelyn picked up her teacup and held it with both hands. "Or you could open your own place. Say the word and Christopher and I transfer enough funds to your account to—"

Sophie held up her hand. "No. Thank you. But no." This wasn't the first time Evelyn, or her husband, had offered her money. The concept of taking anything from Thomas's parents made Sophie's hands shake. "I need to do this on my own."

"But dear, you don't. Have to be on your own." Evelyn abandoned the teacup and flattened her hands on the table. "I know it's not my place, but I worry about you."

"I'm fine."

Evelyn nodded. "Yes, I know you are very capable." With a manicured nail, she traced the floral pattern in the linen covering. "But are you happy?"

Happy was not something Sophie was allowed to be. Fate had robbed of the love of her life and that stain tinted her entire world, like tea spilt on a white tablecloth. Whenever the conversation edged near the gaping hole that Thomas had left in both their lives, the grief splayed across Evelyn's face and Sophie sought alternative topics.

She swallowed. "Looks like New York got almost as much snow as Washington last week."

Green eyes that always reminded her of Evelyn's son scanned Sophie's face. "I often wonder what Thomas would say if he were here now."

The room seemed to lack oxygen and the tips of Sophie's fingers tingled as if she were losing circulation in them. If Thomas sat at this table, he'd hold her hand, whisper a joke in her ear and calm the pounding organ underneath her sternum.