Grey Skies: Chapter 46

"I used to make this meal at home. It's my comfort food." Sophie placed two bowls of noodles and a brownish broth on the round dining room table. "I hope Guksu is okay?"

Max's stomach grumbled. "If you make it, I'll eat it."

She sat down beside him, and he reached for her hand, but it disappeared under the table. Max swallowed his hurt and picked up a spoon. He'd made it home to her, yet still he couldn't help the sting of a barrier between him and her. When he'd left weeks ago, he'd had to rip himself from her arms. Now she was here, inches away, but the distance felt like an ocean. "How did the partner dinner go? Were they eating out of the palm of your hand?"

A shadow of a smile played across Sophie's lips. "Simon says it was a success."

Max paused until she met his gaze. "Tell me everything."

"The bocconcini was a success." Sophie's shoulders slumped and her hand reappeared on the table.

Despite the burning need to touch her, find constant proof he was here with her, Max concentrated on her words and the food she'd made for him. He dove into the meal, scarfing down the food like a man who hadn't eaten in days. Which he was. Sophie brought him up to date on the events of the evening, the accolades from Simon, the job offer.

"About time Simon smartened up and snapped you up before someone else did."

Sophie pushed her noodles around her plate. "Actually, I got another job offer. Working with Etienne."

The bruise on his eye panged as Max grinned at her. "That's great. Are you going to take it?"

Her spoon clacked against the bowl of noodles. "I don't know what to do." She rubbed her temple. "I'm caught between two worlds. I love working with Etienne and I'd be able to afford to move back to the city. But I'd be making someone else's dishes. Simon's offer gives me creative freedom. Up to a point. Yet I'll be all alone in a small town."

A noodle lodged in Max's throat. Alone? Was she breaking up with him? He pushed down the panic licking at his throat, took a long drink of water, and coughed. "You don't have to be alone."

"I know." Sophie waved a hand. "I'd have Emily and Finn. Mary and Simon too. But I can't live with them. I'd have to get a place of my own. Not sure I could handle the long winter nights with nothing to do."

Max grip tightened on the spoon. "I could keep you company."

Sophie's gaze flew to him. "I'd depend on it." Her hand found his and gave it a squeeze. 

A few pounds of weight fell off the barbell sitting on his chest. If she'd considered him in her future, she couldn't be breaking up with him. Even when she let go of his hand, the spark of hope remained.

"But we could live in the city just as easy."

At the word "we", Max's appetite returned. "That we could." He scooped the last of the noodles onto his spoon.

Sophie pushed her bowl his way. "Want this?"

"You barely touched it."

"I made food for Finn earlier." She nudged it closer. "Don't let it go to waste."

"You never have to worry about that with me around."

The smile on Sophie's face wobbled. Max wasn't sure what he'd said wrong and tried to turn things back to her. "Are you leaning towards taking the job here?"

Her elbows landed on the table. "Maybe. With Etienne around, I'd have company while you're away."

Max didn't like the edge of sadness in her words. "I got a job offer, too." Her gaze flew to his and time stopped with the optimism he saw in her eyes. "Campbell is starting a security company. He asked me to partner with him."