Grey Skies: Chapter 19

Max's plan to apologize to Sophie at breakfast went out the window when he and Finn entered the kitchen after their morning run. A very silent run where only the sounds of their feet hitting the ground marked the miles. The air inside the kitchen didn't seem warmer than the frigid temperature outside. Despite Max's best efforts, his eyes sought Sophie. Dressed in head-to-toe black today, her gaze briefly met his, then fell to the floor and his stomach dropped a thousand feet. Now he knew he could knock spy off his list of potential post-military jobs. Why hadn't he locked the door to her bedroom before starting mission Discover The Source of Sophie's Alluring Scent?

"Well?" Emily positioned herself on the chair by the window and addressed her husband. "What did you decide?"

Finn skipped his usual post run kiss-on-the-cheek greeting and stomped across the kitchen to refill his water bottle. Unsure of what was happening, Max followed, wiping the sweat off his forehead. He felt like he'd walked into a movie theatre just after the villain had been revealed. With a glance again at Sophie, he searched for a clue as to what was occurring. To no avail, as she was engrossed in spooning jam on her toast like it was liquid gold and each pore had to be covered in the sticky substance.

"This is non-negotiable." Emily's teacup clanked against the breakfast table. "You have two choices. Visit your brother's vineyard or paint the baby's room." She crossed her arms. "Which is it?"

The sound of running water filled the hollow space where Finn's answer should have been. Max stared at the stoney profile of his friend. Over the years, Finn often fell into bouts of silence. Some even lasted days. Max liked to think the periods were Finn's way of processing, either a difficult mission he had to plan or, more often, now he knew Finn and Emily's history, the uncomfortable situation of being back in the United States. Usually, all Max had to do was wait these episodes out and Finn would shirk the glum mood and return to his jovial self.

"Well?" Apparently, Emily wasn't in the mood to be patient.

Finn chugged back water as if buying himself time. Max stood at the cross-roads of wanting to help his friend out and the promise he'd inadvertently made to Mary. Here was a prime opportunity to alleviate that last burden.

Tension pulled across his shoulder muscles, and Max kept his voice low, hoping only Finn could hear. "If the contractors don't show up again, Simon could use our help."

If stares could turn water to ice, the blood in Max's body would have formed a small glacier with the look from Finn. His lips pressed into a fine line and the water bottle creaked with the pressure of white-knuckled fingers. Max planted his feet in place and prepared to try again.

Sophie beat him to it. "Emily and I ordered the paint while you were running. It'll be ready at noon."

The water bottle slammed against the granite countertop. "We leave for Simons in ten."

Max stamped down the coil in his gut at the grin on Simon's face when Finn stepped out of the backseat of the Jeep. Simon clapped his brother on the back. "You finally decided to see the place."

Finn stepped out of Simon's half embrace and didn't say a word, and Simon gave Max a slight nod.

"Is Mary here?" Sophie clamoured out of the backseat.

"Sleep was more important." Simon swept his arm across the horizon. "C'mon, I'll give you the tour."

Sophie headed toward the farmhouse. "You boys go ahead. I'll wait here for the demo crew."

Hands stuffed in his pockets, Max trailed two steps behind the brothers, like a lost puppy hoping to find new owners. Simon pointed out every nail in the place, explaining its historical significance, pontificated on the quality of the grapes, defending his choice to purchase the winery and demonstrated how each and every piece of equipment in the two barns worked, proposing improvements, asking and seeking Finn's approval at every stage.