Grey Skies: Chapter 14

Nothing this morning had gone to plan. It started with her inability to get to sleep, anticipation and anxiety about today swirling around in her mind like a fireball tsunami. Apparently, she had fallen asleep at some point because her alarm jolted her awake and she'd knocked her phone off the side table and under her bed. Then she'd stubbed her toe on the corner of the dresser on the way to the bathroom. Now, the jacket she'd paired with the black pencil skirt and teal camisole felt too tight across the shoulders. Had she gained weight since the last time she'd worn the jacket to an interview last spring?

Too nervous to eat or drink, she paced the kitchen and focused on what was going right. The chance to create her own menu. On the counter, her phone rattled against the granite. She glared at the notification. "No."

"Something wrong?"

She turned at the sound of Max's voice and the bad news in her hand faded at the sight. Framed by the patio door, the early morning sunlight acted like a highlighter along the ridges of Max's pectorals where his T-shirt clung to him. Sophie's cheeks heated and her fingers longed to trace the deep lines. It didn't help the muscles flexed and rippled with each deep inhale and exhale Max took, seemingly out of breathe. Since arriving last week, Max had joined Finn for his pre-dawn runs, despite the ever chilling weather. Today, Max had added a beanie to his running attire, but no coat and a slight sheen caused Max's tanned skin to glow.

Her phone buzzed again in her hand, dragging Sophie out of her Max-induced stupor. "My rideshare just canceled." She glanced back at the phone. "Now I'll be late."

"First day at the winery, right?"

Sophie's finger paused over the screen, stunned Max had remembered the detail. Despite living in the same house, she'd only seen him at breakfast yesterday. By the time she returned from Mary's place, he'd already been in bed. Or at least in his room. She had heard no sounds of life as she brushed her teeth in their shared bathroom. Not that she'd had her ear to the door to his room or anything.

"Simon's meeting me there—" she glanced at the time "—in twenty minutes." She tapped on the screen, which was not offering any cars in the area, and cursed small towns. "Damn it, there's nothing that can be here in less than an hour."

"Finn left me the keys to his jeep." Max took a glass from the cupboard and filled it with water from the tap. " Just take that."

The couple had a doctor's appointment in Washington and had left before sunrise to miss the morning rush hour, Emily leaving a note to wish Sophie good luck on her walk through with Simon.

Sophie pinched the brow of her nose. "I can't."

"I don't mind. I don't have anything to do today."

"No. I mean I can't drive."

Max coughed, as if choking on his sip of water. "You don't have your driver's license."

"No." Sophie met his gaze, dark pools sucking her in. "I have my license." Silence hung in the air between them as he continued to hold her gaze. "I just don't drive."

The thick tendons in his throat rippled. "I'll take you."

"What?" Sophie blinked and Max was moving out of the kitchen. She trailed him into the gloom of the front hallway.

He paused on the third step of the staircase, removed his hat, and looked down at her. "Give me five to change."

"That's not necessary." She had to tilt her head back to catch his expression, eyes pinched, mouth in a taut line. A knot formed in her chest at the pained look. "I'll text Simon and let him know I'm delayed."