Grey Skies: Chapter 35

A trickle of perspiration ran down the back of Sophie's neck. Despite the chilly end of December night outside, the kitchen in the farmhouse was humid and chocked full of fragrant steam. She stirred the mustard thyme sauce, keeping one eye on the fresh-from-the-oven garlic stuffed mushrooms Blake was transferring to a serving dish.

"They'll need to sit for seven minutes." Sophie abandoned her post at the burners to get a better look at the arrangement of caps the server she'd hired to assist tonight was creating. "Make sure it's a circle so multiple people can pluck off the tray at one time and the ones in the middle stay warm."

"I didn't know there was so much to serving food." Blake adjusted two of the appetizers to conform to Sophie's requirements.

"It depends on the event. Tonight is part party, part sit down dinner." Sophie wiped her hands on her new chef's jacket covering the simple shift dress she'd selected to wear tonight. The coat's crisp black material adorned with a pair of intertwining W's for Wainwright Wineries stitched in an arm band had been a Christmas gift from Mary and Simon. With a few steps she was at Blake's side, pleased the layout of the kitchen she'd designed was already working out. She could inspect the outgoing items without stepping too far from the stove. "We need to keep that lot out there satiated, but not over feed them. Wouldn't want them to be too full to enjoy the sit down part of the meal."

Simon had contacted her after Christmas to propose a practice run for the investors dinner that was scheduled in less than a month. Mary had suggested the New Year's Eve date to ring in the new year in style. Emily had asked if the rest of the family could join and the six person meal had ballooned to a table set for sixteen with the addition of Sam, his wife Ali and his cousin Charlie who brought his flavour of the month date. While used to running the kitchen on the nights Etienne had been off back in her days at the XXRestaurant, Sophie had never prepared the same dish for so many people at one time.

Blake offered the mushroom covered platter to Sophie for inspection. "Is this okay?"

"Perfect." The gap in Blake's top two front teeth made an appearance. Sophie gave the girl a nudge toward the door. "Go mingle."

As Blake left, Max entered the kitchen. A bubble of excitement popped under Sophie's ribcage at the sight of him. Dressed in head to toe dark grey, his thin sweater outlined the toned muscles she'd all but devoured in his bed last night. Her skin might have flamed at the memory of launching herself at him at the train station yesterday, but the heat in the kitchen made it impossible to tell. What she did know was that she had been starved for him and as each day passed it was becoming impossible to deny she had more than a physical attraction to him.

And why should she deny it?

Sophie had relayed her conversation with Mrs. Harrington to Emily and Mary, who had vehemently agreed with Thomas and Sam's mother. The more Sophie considered opening her heart, allowing another man to take space there beside the all-consuming love she had for Thomas, the more space there seemed to be. Like love wasn't a finite thing, but an infinite resource.

Max tilted his head at the closing door. "Blake seems to be working out."

"She's a good kid." Sophie turned back to the sauce on the stove, determined not to touch Max. They didn't have the best track record in this kitchen once they came in contact and Sophie couldn't afford to be distracted. Tonight had to be perfect if she had any chance of convincing Simon to be more adventurous in his menu choices for the show and tell.

Max edged closer. "Anything I can do to help?"

"Wouldn't you rather be out there, at the party?"

"Not really. Small talk isn't my thing." His gaze fell to the floor. "Not my crowd."