Grey Skies: Chapter 23

Max threw open the back door to the kitchen to find Sophie and Finn sitting at the breakfast nook, coffee mugs in hand.

He refused to glance at Sophie as he crossed to the room. They still hadn't talked about the kiss the other day, and he did not know where they stood or how she felt about it. Did she regret it? Or was it a sign of something, a potential between them? His abs flexed with the hope it was the latter.

"Where's Emily?" The aroma of coffee filled the air as he poured himself a cup.

Finn pushed away from the counter. "She's staying in bed today."

That explained why Finn hadn't shown up for their morning run. If Emily wasn't feeling well, Finn wouldn't leave her side.

"I'll defrost some of the carp broth. Leave it on the stove if she wants some." Sophie ran a finger along the rim of her mug. "Max and I will get out of your hair."

Finn's shoulders sank. "Thanks." His gaze met Max's. "What will you do?"

Max started to offer to paint the baby's room. They'd stocked up on supplies yesterday with their trip to the hardware store in the neighbouring city. The plan was to tackle it together, but Max figured he could take it on himself.

"Can we borrow the Jeep?" Sophie stood up. "I thought Max could be my co-pilot as I get back into driving. If that's okay with him."

Max's gaze found hers. Her dark eyes sparkled, causing his already rapid heart rate to spike. The morning light highlighted her dewy skin, and he marvelled for the millionth time at how beautiful she was. If he was a painter, this was the light he'd want to capture her in. "Sure."

"Jeeps all yours." Finn handed Sophie the keys.

As they pulled out of the driveway, grey skies threatened to mar Max's good mood. Actually, he wasn't sure anything could dampen his spirits. A day alone with Sophie. Could life get better? His brain drew up a memory of kissing Sophie in the farmhouse office and he agreed there was room for improvement. Nevertheless, he was content with this sudden change of plans.

Sophie eased the car to a stop. "Hope this is okay with you."

"Happy to be chauffeured for the day," he said.

"Thanks. I feel better having someone else with me. I could do it myself, but a second pair of eyes, you know, to watch out for dangerous drivers will help."

Max thought about his conversation with Finn the other day, about how Sophie's fiancée had died in a car crash. Was this why she didn't drive now? "Got it. Navigator and spotter. I'm your man."

Her gaze flew left and right. "Which way?"

"Let's start on the back roads." Max inclined his head to the left. "Take our time."

Her eyes met his. "I like that idea."

Hope bubbles floated under his breastbone. Did she mean the driving, the day, or something more?

The first fat drop of rain splattered onto the windshield just as Sophie got the vehicle above 20 miles per hour. "Tell me about life in the Navy."

Max shifted in his seat. This question asked around the world, usually to Finn, by pretty women in bars as an icebreaker. The few who asked him expected daring missions like The Borne Identity or James Bond. Their disappointment turning them away within minutes when he didn't have any adventures to share. "Not much to tell. It's a job like any other, really."

"A little more dangerous than mine." Her voice had dropped its chipper disposition.

He shrugged. "I don't know. I don't play with fire much."