Chapter 22

Marlena stood next to John later the following morning in front of the Alamain mansion. They hadn't rang the doorbell yet. Reaching for his hand, she asked him quietly, "Are you sure you're ready for this?"

John sighed, "I am. Now that I've talked to Shane...having you here with me now, I'm ready."

"Are you prepared if he reacts poorly?"
"I expect him to react poorly," John said wryly.

"He might not," she said softly, gazing up at him. "I'm sure he's going to be shocked, but maybe..."

John smiled, touching her chin affectionately, and then rang the doorbell. Ivan answered the door, and when he realized who was standing there, he had a brief look of surprise before he schooled his features. John said, "I needed to speak with Larry."

"Lawrence is not home currently, but he should be momentarily, if you'd like to wait," Ivan said.

"Ivan!" Vivian called. "Who's at the door?"

"John Black and Marlena Evans," he said, turning to face Vivian as she came to the door.

"Whatever for?" she said carelessly.

John sighed, "I'd like to speak with Lawrence."

Vivian looked him over, "I don't know why. The two of you can't stand each other."

"I have something to talk to him about. It's important, and I've put it off for too long," John said. Glancing at Ivan, he said, "I'll wait."

Ivan moved aside, allowing John and Marlena to enter, while Vivian looked them over. She followed them into the living room, saying, "I can't imagine what would be so important that you need to speak with Lawrence about it. Aren't you a dock worker?"

"It's personal Vivian," John said shortly. "I can discuss it with Larry."

"Oh...well, since you're here, I guess to be a pleasant host, I should offer you a drink, and some polite conversation," Vivian said reluctantly, walking towards the drink cart.

John smirked at Marlena, saying, "That's not necessary. I'll just speak with Larry, and we'll be on our way."

"I'll just have a bit of brandy then," she said.

The front door opened, and they all heard Lawrence call, "Aunt Viv! I need to speak with you now!"

"We're in here, darling!" she called, tipping her brandy glass to her lips and swallowing a large amount.

Lawrence stormed into the living room, stopping short when he saw John and Marlena there, "What the hell are you doing here?"

John didn't have time to fight with Lawrence about his motives for being there. He leaned forward, from his place on the couch, and said, "I'm here to talk to you, Larry." Lawrence stared at him incredulously, until John pulled a locket on a gold chain from his pocket. Dangling it from his hand, he asked Lawrence softly, "Do you recognize this?"

Lawrence reached for it, as if he planned to snatch it from John's hand, but John pulled it back. "Where did you get that locket?" Lawrence asked him.

"I got it from my mother," John said slowly, watching Lawrence's face for a reaction. He saw Lawrence visibly pall, and swallow thickly.

"There are only two of those lockets, and I have one...the other one is buried with my brother," Lawrence said. "My brother is dead. I was there when he died. I was eight. Now where did you get the locket?"

"You were eight...your brother was six," John said quietly. "You'd been racing around the pool on your bikes, and his front wheel slipped. He fell into the pool, and he started to drown."