Chapter 28

Bo paced Abe's office waiting for him to arrive. He felt as if he'd been there for hours, when, in reality, it had been less than a half an hour. Abe walked in looking confused, and exhausted. He'd been with Billie Reed for hours. He glanced at Bo quickly, saying, "She won't see anyone right now."

"Me? Abe! She's refusing to see me?" Bo cried. "This doesn't make any sense! Why would she do something like this!"

"That's what we're trying to figure out, Bo. She came into the station early this morning. She was covered in blood, and they called me right away. She specifically asked for me. She gave me her sworn statement, and she refused an attorney," Abe told him. "There's nothing I can do. It's completely out of my hands now, and up to the DA."

"This—this doesn't...and she won't see me? At all?"

"No," Abe said, slowly. "Billie has asked to see three people...and she has refused to see you. I'm sorry."

"Who does she want to see? This makes no fucking sense!"

Abe didn't answer him at first, but finally said, "She wants to see Mickey...and she's asked to see Marlena and John."

"What the fuck?" Bo said, nearly shaking with tension. "I don't understand. I don't understand this at all! Why would she hunt someone down, and kill them in cold blood? Why would she do something like that?"

"I don't know. In her statement, she was quite candid about what she did...but Bo, she's not saying why she did it."

"Roman fucking left, and now everything has gone gone to hell. How could he leave her like this? The baby is coming in less than four months. My parents are too old to raise this child. Roman has gone off, deciding to be some fucked up secret agent who can't handle the realities of his own life, and now Billie...Abe, she's—she's not getting out of this. It was too calculated...too violent."

Abe thought about Billie's description of the murder of Curtis Brown. Bo was right. It was cold, calculated...malicious. His gut was telling him, it was also deeply personal, but if that was the case, Billie Reed wasn't telling. "Look, Bo, when Marlena comes...I'll have her wear a wire. Maybe, just maybe, she can get Billie to talk. We might be able to figure out the why...okay?"

Marlena knocked on the door to Abe's office. Opening it slowly she said, "Abe? I came as soon as I could."

"Marlena...is John with you?" Abe asked her.

"Yes, he's parking the car, but, he's coming. We had to see if Carrie could watch the twins. I'm sorry it took so long for us to get here."

"Billie Reed turned herself in this morning," Abe said. "She's asking for you."

"Turned herself in? Abe, what did she do?"

"She murdered Curtis Brown," Bo said. "But she won't say why."

"She's five months pregnant! Roman's gone...didn't she think about the baby?"

"We can't get a motive out of her. I was hoping...we were hoping, you might wear a wire when you speak with her—"

"—I can't," Marlena said. "If she won't tell you her motive...I can't trick her into it. She confessed?"

"She did, but, Marlena...without a cause, without a motive, this is going to go very badly for her!"

"Please! Marlena, we—I need to know what would make her do something like this. She gave her statement, but I know her...she's not a cold blooded killer. Something else is going on here," Bo said in desperation.

"I'll speak with her, Bo...but it won't be recorded," Marlena said. "I can't betray someones trust like that. Not in this type of situation."

"She could get the death penalty for this!" Bo cried. "Marlena, how can I help her, if I don't know what's going on?"