Ch. 15 - only you

The icy night air hits your body as you rush out the doors, numbing your skin. Your cheeks are warm, your eyes still watery from shock, and you can see your own breath as it leaves your lungs. Shivering from the cold, you lean against the wall of the building, hugging yourself to cover your exposed skin. You don't know if you should leave or stay. You wanted answers from Hyunjin about the scene you just witnessed, but more than anything you wanted to clear your head and rid your mind of that cursed image that now haunted your thoughts.

The way his lips swelled red, the blush that fell across his cheeks, the glistening gloss that stained his mouth all flash as vivid memories in your brain. Such a sight would normally bring butterflies to your stomach. Hyunjin always looked so beautiful in this state, and you loved making him flustered. But instead of butterflies, your stomach was filled with dread knowing that it wasn't you who had left your traces on him. It was another girl.

You continue reliving the moment in your mind, feeling sicker and sicker every time. How could this happen? Hyunjin hadn't given any indication that he wanted to see other people, and you thought that you had both been on the same page. You try to make sense of it all, thinking up the possible sequence of events that could have led to the kiss, but to no avail. Your heart only hurts more every time you attempt to reason with yourself. Before you can formulate any type of conclusion, your thoughts are interrupted.

"Y/N! There you are!" You hear a familiar voice calling. "Fuck, I finally found you."

You turn to the direction of the voice to find Hyunjin panting with half of his body out the door of the venue. His eyes are bolted open, staring at you, wide with panic. He rushes towards you, grabbing your arm as you turn your back on him to walk away. This was too much to deal with right now and you just needed space.

"Y/N, stop for a second." Hyunjin's grip steadies you in your place. "Please listen to me." His voice is firm and marked with urgency.

You refuse to turn around, tears welling up in your eyes again. You don't have anything to say to him, rather, you don't know what to say. Your thoughts are still jumbled in your brain and all you know is that it hurts to look at him.

"Y/N, please." Hyunjin desperately begs. "It's not what it looks like. I didn't kiss her, she kissed me...can you please say something?"

"I don't...I don't have anything to say." You mumble through your tears.

"Y/N, look at me."

Hyunjin let's go of your arm to grab your shoulders instead, turning you to face him. His frantic expression immediately softens when he sees you crying.

"Baby..." He coos as he gently takes your face in his hands, wiping the tears off your cheeks. "I didn't mean for it to happen, you have to believe me."

The streetlight above you casted a hazy glow on Hyunjin's figure. Maybe it was the remnants of alcohol still in your system, but seeing him look at you with such concern and hold you as if you were made of glass caused a stir in your stomach. You aren't sure if it was anxiety or excitement that you were feeling, but you didn't have it in you to remove yourself from his grasp.

Sniffling back your tears, you take a deep breath. "I want to believe you Hyunjin, but how can I not believe my own eyes?" You shiver as you try to steady your breathing, but fail to maintain your cool when your eyes land on his lips. "You still have her gloss on your lips." Your last sentence coming out in a hushed whisper.

Hyunjin hastily wipes the shimmering residue off with the back of his hand before resuming his grip on your face. He pauses for a moment, frantically searching your expression.